CHINNOR have signed three players from National 2 South rivals Henley Hawks, but player-coach Matt Goode has joined Cambridge.
Full back Martin Nutt, wing Jaryd Robinson and flanker Ryan Long make the switch from Dry Leas to Kingsey Road as part of director of rugby Matt Williams’s ambitious plans for the club.
But centre Goode, who Williams announced only a fortnight ago was staying with Chinnor, has left to become player-coach at Cambridge.
Former Oxford Harlequins and Newbury player Nutt captained Henley to the National 2 South title in 2013, but featured less in National 1 last season.
He said: “I will have played for all three National League Oxfordshire clubs, which not many people, if any, can say.
“I am excited to be joining Chinnor with such an incredible squad being formed and I hope I can follow my career pattern and win another promotion in my first season at a new club!”
As well as boosting Chinnor’s back row, former Wasps academy player Long hopes to break into the England Sevens squad.
He said: “I am very much excited to be starting the new campaign with Chinnor.
“Matt and the club have ambitions and I feel privileged to be part of this squad.”
Robinson, who won can run 100m in less than 10.5secs, saw his Henley season ended by a broken ankle in December.
He is also a sevens specialist and his pace has previously earned him a trial with Gloucester.
“I am truly excited to be running again and am hoping to get one major sevens event in before the close of the sevens season,” said Robinson.
“I cannot wait to get my black and white jersey on and pick up from where I left off – scoring tries.”
- OXFORDSHIRE Shield winners Gosford All Blacks hope to attract more players thanks to a series of ground improvements.
Among these, the BB&O Premier Division club have installed more floodlights.
Gosford named flanker Eugene Griffin as their player of the season and Bahamas sevens international Stephen Edwards as young player.
Clubman: R Eynon. President’s award: D Eustice. Top points scorer: T Ellis. Top try scorer: M Grant.
- GARETH Campbell and Charlie Bennett shared the top prizes at Witney RFC’s awards dinner.
Scrum half Campbell was named player of the year, while lock Bennett scooping the players’ player title.
Try Scorer: R Mills. Club person: A Merriman. Second team player: M Webb. Third team: T Guyatt. Fouth team: C Jacobs. Most improved: D Hyde. Under 21 player: C Lennards. Colt of the year: Ted L. Life membership: N Godfrey.
Latest Sport news
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell clinches US Open spot after superb qualifying display
- Michael Appleton confident Oxford United are close to new signing
- Oxford United denied cash boost from Kemar Roofe transfer after Leeds United's failure to make play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire clinch first Twickenham win after dramatic finale
- RESULTS: May 27-28
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League reports
- MOTORSPORT: Haas and Williams in the points at Monaco Grand Prix
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows eyeing glory after heartbreak as a player