OXFORDSHIRE’S Over 50s women enjoyed an emphatic 8-0 win over Cambridgeshire to go top of Division 3 of the Senior Inter-County Championships.
In the tie, played at Abingdon’s White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Oxfordshire’s first pair of Ruth Ballantyne (Blewbury) and Sarah Widdowson (Virgin Active) triumphed 6-3, 7-6 in their opening match.
In the second-string clash, Mary Joyner (North Oxford) and Tracey Hodson (Basildon) won 6-4, 6-2.
The new pairing of Joyner and Hodson proved too strong for Cambridge’s first pair in the third rubber, dropping just one game on the way to victory.
Ballantyne and Widdowson completed the whitewash, beating the Cambridge second pair 6-0, 7-5.
- BANBURY enjoyed a 3-1 home victory against North Oxford B, in Mixed Division 1 of the OLTA Wilson Summer League.
Virgin Active won by the same margin at Oxford City, while Woodstock beat hosts Thame 4-0.
OLTA Mixed League
Div 1: Banbury 3, North Oxford B 1; Cholsey 2, North Oxford 2; Oxford City 1, Virgin Active 3; Thame 0, Woodstock 4.
Div 2: Abingdon 3, Bicester 1; Benson 3, Woodstock B 1; Wantage 0, Witney 4; Wantage B 2, Banbury B 2.
Div 3: Blewbury 2, David Lloyd 2; Goring 3, North Oxford C 1; Portcullis 3, Banbury West End 1.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe is front-runner in PFA poll for League Two player of the season
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to live up to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill's high praise
- FOOTBALL: Leaving North Leigh was not a decision I took lightly - manager Mark Gee
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Captain Kat Nutman leads by example as Oxford United beat Watford
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL suffer ninth-straight loss in Doncaster defeat
- FOOTBALL: Lewis Gabbidon lands double honour at Kidlington presentation night
- GOLF: Superb Adam Wootton wins CK Group PGA Kent Open Championship
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list