OXFORDSHIRE’S Over 50s women enjoyed an emphatic 8-0 win over Cambridgeshire to go top of Division 3 of the Senior Inter-County Championships.
In the tie, played at Abingdon’s White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Oxfordshire’s first pair of Ruth Ballantyne (Blewbury) and Sarah Widdowson (Virgin Active) triumphed 6-3, 7-6 in their opening match.
In the second-string clash, Mary Joyner (North Oxford) and Tracey Hodson (Basildon) won 6-4, 6-2.
The new pairing of Joyner and Hodson proved too strong for Cambridge’s first pair in the third rubber, dropping just one game on the way to victory.
Ballantyne and Widdowson completed the whitewash, beating the Cambridge second pair 6-0, 7-5.
- BANBURY enjoyed a 3-1 home victory against North Oxford B, in Mixed Division 1 of the OLTA Wilson Summer League.
Virgin Active won by the same margin at Oxford City, while Woodstock beat hosts Thame 4-0.
OLTA Mixed League
Div 1: Banbury 3, North Oxford B 1; Cholsey 2, North Oxford 2; Oxford City 1, Virgin Active 3; Thame 0, Woodstock 4.
Div 2: Abingdon 3, Bicester 1; Benson 3, Woodstock B 1; Wantage 0, Witney 4; Wantage B 2, Banbury B 2.
Div 3: Blewbury 2, David Lloyd 2; Goring 3, North Oxford C 1; Portcullis 3, Banbury West End 1.
Latest Sport news
- More details on OxVox stadium bid - but talks 'on hold' due to U's takeover interest
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell eyes putting improvements ahead of US Open qualifying
- TENNIS: North Oxford extend super streak to keep promotion push on track
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League preview
- POINT-TO-POINT: Will Biddick does not expect home advantage to help Great Britain in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- Oxford United give Conor McAleny deadline on contract offer
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Fightback comes too late to save Oxford Saints against Brighton
- RUGBY UNION: Keble celebrate Oxford University Men's Cup triumph
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's veterans set the pace to clinch national road relays gold
- BOWLS: Champions Carterton are run close by Banbury Central