OXFORDSHIRE’S Over 50s women enjoyed an emphatic 8-0 win over Cambridgeshire to go top of Division 3 of the Senior Inter-County Championships.
In the tie, played at Abingdon’s White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Oxfordshire’s first pair of Ruth Ballantyne (Blewbury) and Sarah Widdowson (Virgin Active) triumphed 6-3, 7-6 in their opening match.
In the second-string clash, Mary Joyner (North Oxford) and Tracey Hodson (Basildon) won 6-4, 6-2.
The new pairing of Joyner and Hodson proved too strong for Cambridge’s first pair in the third rubber, dropping just one game on the way to victory.
Ballantyne and Widdowson completed the whitewash, beating the Cambridge second pair 6-0, 7-5.
- BANBURY enjoyed a 3-1 home victory against North Oxford B, in Mixed Division 1 of the OLTA Wilson Summer League.
Virgin Active won by the same margin at Oxford City, while Woodstock beat hosts Thame 4-0.
OLTA Mixed League
Div 1: Banbury 3, North Oxford B 1; Cholsey 2, North Oxford 2; Oxford City 1, Virgin Active 3; Thame 0, Woodstock 4.
Div 2: Abingdon 3, Bicester 1; Benson 3, Woodstock B 1; Wantage 0, Witney 4; Wantage B 2, Banbury B 2.
Div 3: Blewbury 2, David Lloyd 2; Goring 3, North Oxford C 1; Portcullis 3, Banbury West End 1.
Latest Sport news
- No distractions for Oxford United as Michael Appleton only has eyes on Northampton Town clash
- Joe Rothwell bidding to shine for Oxford United in final Wembley audition
- Danny Higginbotham thrilled to see fellow Manchester United player Michael Appleton thrive as Oxford United head coach
- Oxford United to play it safe as John Lundstram must prove his fitness
- Josh Ruffels aims to grab big chance at Oxford United in Ryan Ledson's absence
- Teenager Canice Carroll earmarked for Oxford United role in final month
- Oxford United clash is 'huge' as Northampton Town seek to confirm safety from relegation
- MOTORSPORT: Oxfordshire's Formula 1 teams endure mixed results in Melbourne practice
- CRICKET: Former Oxfordshire batsman Martyn Lloyd dies at 62
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City boss Mark Jones makes three new signings