OXFORDSHIRE’S Over 50s women enjoyed an emphatic 8-0 win over Cambridgeshire to go top of Division 3 of the Senior Inter-County Championships.
In the tie, played at Abingdon’s White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Oxfordshire’s first pair of Ruth Ballantyne (Blewbury) and Sarah Widdowson (Virgin Active) triumphed 6-3, 7-6 in their opening match.
In the second-string clash, Mary Joyner (North Oxford) and Tracey Hodson (Basildon) won 6-4, 6-2.
The new pairing of Joyner and Hodson proved too strong for Cambridge’s first pair in the third rubber, dropping just one game on the way to victory.
Ballantyne and Widdowson completed the whitewash, beating the Cambridge second pair 6-0, 7-5.
- BANBURY enjoyed a 3-1 home victory against North Oxford B, in Mixed Division 1 of the OLTA Wilson Summer League.
Virgin Active won by the same margin at Oxford City, while Woodstock beat hosts Thame 4-0.
OLTA Mixed League
Div 1: Banbury 3, North Oxford B 1; Cholsey 2, North Oxford 2; Oxford City 1, Virgin Active 3; Thame 0, Woodstock 4.
Div 2: Abingdon 3, Bicester 1; Benson 3, Woodstock B 1; Wantage 0, Witney 4; Wantage B 2, Banbury B 2.
Div 3: Blewbury 2, David Lloyd 2; Goring 3, North Oxford C 1; Portcullis 3, Banbury West End 1.
Latest Sport news
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France