OXFORDSHIRE’S Over 50s women enjoyed an emphatic 8-0 win over Cambridgeshire to go top of Division 3 of the Senior Inter-County Championships.
In the tie, played at Abingdon’s White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Oxfordshire’s first pair of Ruth Ballantyne (Blewbury) and Sarah Widdowson (Virgin Active) triumphed 6-3, 7-6 in their opening match.
In the second-string clash, Mary Joyner (North Oxford) and Tracey Hodson (Basildon) won 6-4, 6-2.
The new pairing of Joyner and Hodson proved too strong for Cambridge’s first pair in the third rubber, dropping just one game on the way to victory.
Ballantyne and Widdowson completed the whitewash, beating the Cambridge second pair 6-0, 7-5.
- BANBURY enjoyed a 3-1 home victory against North Oxford B, in Mixed Division 1 of the OLTA Wilson Summer League.
Virgin Active won by the same margin at Oxford City, while Woodstock beat hosts Thame 4-0.
OLTA Mixed League
Div 1: Banbury 3, North Oxford B 1; Cholsey 2, North Oxford 2; Oxford City 1, Virgin Active 3; Thame 0, Woodstock 4.
Div 2: Abingdon 3, Bicester 1; Benson 3, Woodstock B 1; Wantage 0, Witney 4; Wantage B 2, Banbury B 2.
Div 3: Blewbury 2, David Lloyd 2; Goring 3, North Oxford C 1; Portcullis 3, Banbury West End 1.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United season ticket sales near 4,000 target
- Joe Skarz and Ryan Taylor thrilled to return injury-free for Oxford United's pre-season
- EFL Trophy controversy rumbles on with under 23 teams and shoot-outs for draws
- BOWLS: Carterton suffer blow to Oxfordshire League Division 1 title hopes
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire teenager Alexis Canter handed junior Wimbledon wildcard
- ATHLETICS: Jade O'Dowda impresses to go top of under 17 heptathlon rankings
- BOWLS: Oxfordshire weather storm to beat Surrey in Middleton Cup
- RUBGY UNION: Theo Brophy-Clews relishing steep learning curve
- ATHLETICS: Paul Fernandez wins Thame 10k
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town