WEIGHTLIFTING: Watson delighted with Commonwealth Games call-up

Didcot weightlifter Ben Watson is looking forward to competing for England in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

Didcot weightlifter Ben Watson is looking forward to competing for England in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

First published in Sport Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425457

Ben Watson is targeting a top-five finish after being selected in England’s weightlifting team for the Commonwealth Games in July.

The 24-year-old from St Birinus Club in Didcot, who heard of his selection yesterday, is considered a likely medal prospect in Glasgow.

“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure,” said Watson, who will be competing in the 105 kilogram category.

“But I would be very happy to finish in the top five.

“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement.”

Watson has been a nailed-on selection for the 14-strong team since winning the English title in February with a two-lift total of 335kg.

This was only three kilograms less than the winning total at the Games in Delhi four years ago.

He sees his main threats coming from the Pacific Islands and Australia.

“I’m really excited about competing and it’s all the sweeter for having missed out on selection in 2010.

“It will be reward for all the hard work I’ve put in over the years,” added Watson who says he trains nine times a week.

He has been earmarked for success shortly after taking up the sport in 2002, under the guidance of his coach Philip Karlsson, then a teacher at St Birinus School.

It was Karlsson who was responsible for making the club one of the strongest in the country.

Watson is helping to maintain that the club tradition by coaching youngsters in addition to his role as a teaching assistant at the school.

He is not concerned about the elbow injury that forced him to quit midway through this month’s British Championships.

“It was only a niggle, but I didn’t want to risk making it worse,” he said.

“Because of my performance at the English Championships, I had the qualifying mark for the Games.

“Now I’m training hard to make sure I reach my potential in Glasgow.

Although he does not compete in the Clyde Auditorium until Wednesday July 30, Watson is looking forward to attending the opening ceremony on July 23.

“I expect the English coaches will want us to stay up in Scotland to train, but it will be nice that my parents and brother will be able to come and watch me compete,” said Watson.

He had to break off the conversation to take another coaching session.

“It keeps me grounded,” said the competitor with a chance of bringing a medal back to Oxfordshire.

Our top stories:

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Head ‘fobbed off’ over delayed Windmill Primary School extension

Oxford Mail: Windmill head teacher, Lynn Knapp

7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015

A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Andrew Main appears in court charged with South Oxfordshire arsons

Oxford Mail:

1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.

Two arrested after police raid house in Barton

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

10:34am Friday 30th January 2015

TWO people were arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods and possession of class A drugs following a police raid.

UPDATE: Car gone off road on A420 near Botley interchange

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 30th January 2015

Traffic has returned to normal after an earlier accident on the A420.

Electricity substation for sale, asking price might shock you

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 30th January 2015

WHOEVER snaps up this former Second World War sub-station is set for a blast of a time.

Operation Bullfinch child trafficking suspect rebailed

Oxford Mail: Scales of Justice

8:00am Friday 30th January 2015

A man arrested as part of Operation Bullfinch on suspicion of child sexual exploitation in Oxford has been rebailed.

Headteachers say 2014 results have been made meaningless

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 30th January 2015

HEADTEACHERS have hit out at Government changes that they say have made this year’s league tables meaningless.

Man in court charged with arsons including blaze at council HQ

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 30th January 2015

A man charged with a series of arson attacks is due to appear at Oxford Crown Court today.

Road deaths rise with 27 dead but officials say it is still historically low

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE father of Liberty Baker, the schoolgirl killed in a collision while walking to school, has called for more 20mph zones.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree