A RECORD 196 players took part in Frilford Heath’s annual Pro-Am event on the Red Course.
The 49 teams were led home by members Paul Smith, Steve Helliwell and Lee Stopps, who played with Frilford’s assisant professional Tom Fleming and finished with a team score of 128.
Luke Briars, from High Wycombe, won the individual professionals competition with 69.
The bumper turn-out helped raise money for Young Dementia, a Witney-based charity which has been selected by this year’s captains Mo Seward and Gordon Neilson.
- THE first tournament of the Five Star Events season was hosted by Tadmarton Heath.
The Liz Harris Cup was won by Clive and Simon Alcock with an excellent better-ball score of 45 points.
Holders Rob Jackson and David Saunders were two points further back, while Ken Heathcote and Dusan Gavrilovic were third on 41.
The event was played in support of charity Special Effects and sponsored by Luxicars and Tyrolit.
The next event will be the Phil Garner Memorial Trophy at Burford on June 27.
- BACK-TO-BACK birdies saw Lee Jackson qualify for the final of the Glenmuir PGA Professional Championship.
Representing North Oxford, his hopes of coming through the regional qualifier at Lambourne were hit by three bogeys on the front nine.
But Jackson picked up shots at the 13th and 14th and his one-over total was good enough for a share of ninth place.
It earned him a place in the final at Blairgowrie, Scotland, on August 5-8.
Latest Sport news
- David Rush backs Oxford United to hold nerve and replicate class of '96
- Mike Ford urges Oxford United not to hand any incentive to rivals
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's Simon Fisher impresses in Chalgrove 10k victory
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University's Varsity Match hero George Cullen signs for London Scottish
- RUGBY UNION: History to be made at Oxford University's Cuppers Super Finals Day
- Oxford United run out of time in plans for temporary fourth stand against Wycombe Wanderers
- We have no reason to change preparations, says Oxford United striker Chris Maguire
- FOOTBALL: Oxford Blackbirds crowned Oxford Mail Youth League's Under 12 Division C champions
- Ollie Mersch's superb century for Minster Lovell brushes aside Combe
- Mike Ford hoping to keep star men at Banbury United