Oxford Shooting Stars, the recreational team affiliated to Oxford City Stars, captured their first silverware with a 15-14 aggregate victory over the RAF Bluewings in the Southern Conference Plate final.
Following an 8-7 victory in the first leg, Oxford upset the odds against their more fancied rivals with a 7-7 draw.
With the tie on a knife-edge at 14-14, Chris Povey, a newcomer to the sport and owner of a comic book store in Headington, stepped up like a superhero seven minutes from time to give Stars the aggregate victory.
Steve Lygo and Slovakian Matus Michalek had struck for Stars in the first period, which ended with the Bluewings 3-2 ahead.
Captain Thomas Kosar and Lygo’s solo effort netted for Stars in the second period, but the RAF men once again had the upper hand with three more goals to lead 13-12 on aggregate.
Kosar brought the overall score level in the opening seconds of the final period, before Dusan Lepis fired Stars ahead.
The Bluewings hit back to make it 14-14 on aggregate, but Povey had the final word, with some stunning netminding from man of the match Petr Larysch, plus brave defending from Martin Bureau and James Schall preserving their advantage.
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers