DARRYL Woods hit a half-century on his debut as Oxfordshire opened their ECB 50+ Championship Group 4 campaign with a 65-run victory over Staffordshire at Banbury Twenty.
Woods made 59 off 114 balls, with three fours, in Oxon’s 171-6 off 45 overs after they were put in to bat.
Paul Hemmings, also in his first game, injected some late impetus into the innings with a breezy 31.
Oxfordshire then asserted a stranglehold on the Staffordshire reply, with the visitors bowled out for 106.
Kevin Taylor took 3-19 on his debut, while Steve Roberts returned remarkable figures of 9-7-5-2 and Mike Thomas picked up 2-17.
Oxon’s fourth debutant, Neil Megson, chipped in with three stumpings, while Nick Moorman claimed two smart catches.
Next up for Oxfordshire are Herefordshire at Challow & Childrey on Wednesday.
Latest Sport news
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships