DARRYL Woods hit a half-century on his debut as Oxfordshire opened their ECB 50+ Championship Group 4 campaign with a 65-run victory over Staffordshire at Banbury Twenty.
Woods made 59 off 114 balls, with three fours, in Oxon’s 171-6 off 45 overs after they were put in to bat.
Paul Hemmings, also in his first game, injected some late impetus into the innings with a breezy 31.
Oxfordshire then asserted a stranglehold on the Staffordshire reply, with the visitors bowled out for 106.
Kevin Taylor took 3-19 on his debut, while Steve Roberts returned remarkable figures of 9-7-5-2 and Mike Thomas picked up 2-17.
Oxon’s fourth debutant, Neil Megson, chipped in with three stumpings, while Nick Moorman claimed two smart catches.
Next up for Oxfordshire are Herefordshire at Challow & Childrey on Wednesday.
Latest Sport news
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival