DARRYL Woods hit a half-century on his debut as Oxfordshire opened their ECB 50+ Championship Group 4 campaign with a 65-run victory over Staffordshire at Banbury Twenty.
Woods made 59 off 114 balls, with three fours, in Oxon’s 171-6 off 45 overs after they were put in to bat.
Paul Hemmings, also in his first game, injected some late impetus into the innings with a breezy 31.
Oxfordshire then asserted a stranglehold on the Staffordshire reply, with the visitors bowled out for 106.
Kevin Taylor took 3-19 on his debut, while Steve Roberts returned remarkable figures of 9-7-5-2 and Mike Thomas picked up 2-17.
Oxon’s fourth debutant, Neil Megson, chipped in with three stumpings, while Nick Moorman claimed two smart catches.
Next up for Oxfordshire are Herefordshire at Challow & Childrey on Wednesday.
Latest Sport news
- Ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins record first victory as last kick misses target
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor bury battling opponents with six-try display to stay top of the table
- GOLF: Final pair seal Foursomes crown for Frilford Heath
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks' chances go west as Isca edge tight contest
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester scrape home to narrow derby win against Wallingford