Frustrations boil over as Oxford United lose to last-minute freak goal + VIDEO

A section of Oxford United fans clash with some U’s players as they leave the pitch on Saturday, causing an ugly scene in the tunnel area

A section of Oxford United fans clash with some U’s players as they leave the pitch on Saturday, causing an ugly scene in the tunnel area

First published in Sport
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

THE growing concerns over Oxford United’s stalling campaign was clearly demonstrated by an angry confrontation between players and supporters after the final whistle on Saturday.

A bizarre own goal in the 89th minute from Matt Bevans gave hosts Dagenham & Redbridge a 1-0 win.

It was cruel on the visitors, but extended a poor run to one victory in nine games as they slipped to within a whisker of dropping out of the top seven for the first time this season.

Tensions escalated as the players headed for the changing rooms and skipper Jake Wright in particular reacted to barbs from a handful of disgruntled supporters.

It was defused relatively quickly, with Andy Whing appearing to calm an ugly situation, although it continued to simmer when the squad returned to warm down.

United head coach Gary Waddock, who praised the supporters for their vocal backing during the game, stressed everyone felt the same way.

He said: “The players are frustrated, the supporters are frustrated and I think it was dealt with in a very professional manner by one of our players.

“Everybody’s frustrated at the moment. The players, the club and the supporters have worked very hard this season to get themselves into a position to be challenging.

“It’s always tense this time of the year when they see that finishing line coming.

“We just need to get over it and if you don’t get a result, frustration occurs.”

The game itself was hard-fought with few moments of genuine quality and neither side could have complained if it had finished goalless.

Waddock felt the performance was a step in the right direction from last Monday’s 3-0 mauling at Southend, but another defeat did nothing to improve his mood.

The new U’s boss, who lost Alfie Potter to a groin injury in the warm-up, thought the manner of the winning goal was typical of a side struggling for confidence.

“Nobody could’ve seen that goal coming and it’ll probably be on a DVD come Christmas time because it was one hell of a goal,” he said.

“The players worked very hard and you feel for them.

“They put in a workmanlike display, there were periods in there that were OK and we have to improve in certain areas.

“It’s only the beginning, we all want to get into the play-offs and win promotion – that’s the aim and it’s never going to change.

“But when things aren’t going your way, like they have done recently, that sums it up to concede a goal like that in the 89th minute.”

  • Highlights of the 1-0 defeat at Dagenham (via Oxford United's Youtube channel)

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:07am Mon 31 Mar 14

oldun says...

Mr L said that we had 70 applicants - thus many must have been much, much better than Chris W. Surely Mr L must have chosen one who is better than Chris. Come on Mr Waddock , prove these folk wrong (start by relegating Smalley from the match 18 - and by winning the next match)
Mr L said that we had 70 applicants - thus many must have been much, much better than Chris W. Surely Mr L must have chosen one who is better than Chris. Come on Mr Waddock , prove these folk wrong (start by relegating Smalley from the match 18 - and by winning the next match) oldun
  • Score: -8

12:03pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Coyyellows says...

Old un . Shut up zzzzzzzz
Old un . Shut up zzzzzzzz Coyyellows
  • Score: 8

12:12pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Sid Snakey says...

I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you. Sid Snakey
  • Score: 33

12:53pm Mon 31 Mar 14

oldun says...

Coyyellows wrote:
Old un . Shut up zzzzzzzz
Wrong again? Have you no faith in Mr L?
[quote][p][bold]Coyyellows[/bold] wrote: Old un . Shut up zzzzzzzz[/p][/quote]Wrong again? Have you no faith in Mr L? oldun
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Mon 31 Mar 14

oldun says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Decision (a good one) WAS (of course) made by Ian ,L. Many tough away fixtures followed Chris' departure - we would not have got automatic promotion under Chris. Come on Mr Waddock take us up !
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Decision (a good one) WAS (of course) made by Ian ,L. Many tough away fixtures followed Chris' departure - we would not have got automatic promotion under Chris. Come on Mr Waddock take us up ! oldun
  • Score: -5

1:14pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Doctor69 says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Interesting argument. Although the chairman is his own man, he decided not to give Wilder the boot for 2 seasons and didn't listen to the 'Muppets' then. This time around I think dwindling crowds, poor performances on the pitch (at home in particular), and Wilder trying to force the clubs hand played more of a part in him going.

If other fans felt so strongly for Wilder to stay, why were a so called minority of 'muppets' able to force him out? Why wasn't he backed more by the fans?

This collapse has been coming all season in my opinion. We did the same thing 2 years back. What we have seen for the past 2 seasons at home is the real OUFC.

I wasn't there on Saturday, but the reports I have read from people who were, and heard / saw what happened have all said Wright was bang out of order. These are professional athletes who are playing like a pub team and therefore can expect to be told a few home truths - if they cant handle that maybe they should stop accepting wages to play football. Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't be subjected to personal abuse, and if they have been then they have a right to have a word back.
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Interesting argument. Although the chairman is his own man, he decided not to give Wilder the boot for 2 seasons and didn't listen to the 'Muppets' then. This time around I think dwindling crowds, poor performances on the pitch (at home in particular), and Wilder trying to force the clubs hand played more of a part in him going. If other fans felt so strongly for Wilder to stay, why were a so called minority of 'muppets' able to force him out? Why wasn't he backed more by the fans? This collapse has been coming all season in my opinion. We did the same thing 2 years back. What we have seen for the past 2 seasons at home is the real OUFC. I wasn't there on Saturday, but the reports I have read from people who were, and heard / saw what happened have all said Wright was bang out of order. These are professional athletes who are playing like a pub team and therefore can expect to be told a few home truths - if they cant handle that maybe they should stop accepting wages to play football. Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't be subjected to personal abuse, and if they have been then they have a right to have a word back. Doctor69
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Mon 31 Mar 14

ox85 says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
I don't agree that anyone who wanted a change in manager is a muppet, Lenegan hasn't been convinced about Wilder for a while from what I can make out, hence him only being given a one year contract last year. I also don't think that the fans 'forced him out' as you make out, Lenegan is his own man. The fact that he may have been influenced by falling attendances and a general feeling of doom and gloom is only natural considering that he is trying to create a stable well funded football club.

If you ask me, Wilder's days were numbered. I think he did a good job getting us to where we are and was the right appointment at the time, but the end of the road was reached for me towards the end of last season. I would never call for his head as I think he deserved more respect than that, but I wouldn't have been heartbroken to see him go last season. I believe that the reason we are struggling now is not because Wilder has gone but because we didn’t replace him sooner. The delay has caused uncertainty and we seem to have lost all confidence and momentum.

It seems the appointment of Waddock is with the view to getting OUFC to the next level, something which Wilder struggled to do since we regained our place in League 2. I don’t buy into all this ‘we should have kept Wilder’ talk, but in truth we’ll never really know what our position would be now had he stayed. One thing I do know is that I’d rather have a chairman who isn’t afraid to make changes to help us reach our goals than a chairman who pulls out all the stops to keep someone just for the fear of what might happen if he leaves.

I think it is clear that Wilder’s heart wasn’t in it by the end of his tenure, the events of his exit from the club showed that. Perhaps about time we all moved on and just concentrated on supporting the new man over the next few seasons rather than speculating about where we may have been with someone else in charge.
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]I don't agree that anyone who wanted a change in manager is a muppet, Lenegan hasn't been convinced about Wilder for a while from what I can make out, hence him only being given a one year contract last year. I also don't think that the fans 'forced him out' as you make out, Lenegan is his own man. The fact that he may have been influenced by falling attendances and a general feeling of doom and gloom is only natural considering that he is trying to create a stable well funded football club. If you ask me, Wilder's days were numbered. I think he did a good job getting us to where we are and was the right appointment at the time, but the end of the road was reached for me towards the end of last season. I would never call for his head as I think he deserved more respect than that, but I wouldn't have been heartbroken to see him go last season. I believe that the reason we are struggling now is not because Wilder has gone but because we didn’t replace him sooner. The delay has caused uncertainty and we seem to have lost all confidence and momentum. It seems the appointment of Waddock is with the view to getting OUFC to the next level, something which Wilder struggled to do since we regained our place in League 2. I don’t buy into all this ‘we should have kept Wilder’ talk, but in truth we’ll never really know what our position would be now had he stayed. One thing I do know is that I’d rather have a chairman who isn’t afraid to make changes to help us reach our goals than a chairman who pulls out all the stops to keep someone just for the fear of what might happen if he leaves. I think it is clear that Wilder’s heart wasn’t in it by the end of his tenure, the events of his exit from the club showed that. Perhaps about time we all moved on and just concentrated on supporting the new man over the next few seasons rather than speculating about where we may have been with someone else in charge. ox85
  • Score: 19

2:46pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Marina Morris says...

Excellent post Sid Snakey, I'm with you all the way. Shocking behaviour by a few drunks.
Excellent post Sid Snakey, I'm with you all the way. Shocking behaviour by a few drunks. Marina Morris
  • Score: 4

4:09pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Brenda Jackson says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Are you IL's apologist? Easy blaming the fans -or 'Muppets' as you tag those who spend their hard earned cash supporting the team up an down the Country. At least they (The fans) showed some passion, where was it on the pitch? Yet another pathetic showing.
Btw, IL isn't the type to be swayed by 'Muppets' or other influences, and he didn't sack wilder- wilder deserted and 'spat his own dummy' because IL wouldn't open talks on an extended contract- surprise surprise, NOT. I have seen enough matches under wilder to know why that was, and you only have to look at the decline in attendances during his reign to come to the conclusion wilder was not up to it, negative boring 'football' that drove fans away- including season ticket holders, did that warrant an extended contract? If you believe that then you're simply wrong, or wilders agent.
You blame the 'Muppets' if it makes you happy, i'm sure wilder will be, and sure that he bailed out at the right time, he saw the inevitable coming, his team so far lucky to have met opposition even worse than themselves- had matches looming against the better teams in this div- and have been found out.
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Are you IL's apologist? Easy blaming the fans -or 'Muppets' as you tag those who spend their hard earned cash supporting the team up an down the Country. At least they (The fans) showed some passion, where was it on the pitch? Yet another pathetic showing. Btw, IL isn't the type to be swayed by 'Muppets' or other influences, and he didn't sack wilder- wilder deserted and 'spat his own dummy' because IL wouldn't open talks on an extended contract- surprise surprise, NOT. I have seen enough matches under wilder to know why that was, and you only have to look at the decline in attendances during his reign to come to the conclusion wilder was not up to it, negative boring 'football' that drove fans away- including season ticket holders, did that warrant an extended contract? If you believe that then you're simply wrong, or wilders agent. You blame the 'Muppets' if it makes you happy, i'm sure wilder will be, and sure that he bailed out at the right time, he saw the inevitable coming, his team so far lucky to have met opposition even worse than themselves- had matches looming against the better teams in this div- and have been found out. Brenda Jackson
  • Score: -1

4:50pm Mon 31 Mar 14

tws says...

It's no wonder some supporters are turning really is it? With expectations at the club high, (sometimes rightly & occasionally not) & top three for most of the season & the wheels come off, not the first time!! Look at the years in the Conference all pretty much starting well & dipping!
I think people make good points about hounding out CW & the frustration must be immense for the poor buggers who pay their hard earned each week.
I've never criticised any Oxford manager or player at a game as that will ONLY produce negative vibes & WHO wants that? But the frustration is obvious & real for all involved. Falling out amongst ourselves won't sort it & I think everyone knows this. Maybe just accept reality, we've blown this season, a Lge2 that looks below par, so let's get behind GW & his undoubted proven ability for 2014/15!!! PS: Luton, Shrews, Notts C & Stevenage, no worries????
It's no wonder some supporters are turning really is it? With expectations at the club high, (sometimes rightly & occasionally not) & top three for most of the season & the wheels come off, not the first time!! Look at the years in the Conference all pretty much starting well & dipping! I think people make good points about hounding out CW & the frustration must be immense for the poor buggers who pay their hard earned each week. I've never criticised any Oxford manager or player at a game as that will ONLY produce negative vibes & WHO wants that? But the frustration is obvious & real for all involved. Falling out amongst ourselves won't sort it & I think everyone knows this. Maybe just accept reality, we've blown this season, a Lge2 that looks below par, so let's get behind GW & his undoubted proven ability for 2014/15!!! PS: Luton, Shrews, Notts C & Stevenage, no worries???? tws
  • Score: 2

4:57pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Open your eyes says...

I also don't agree that anyone who wanted a change in manager is a muppet.

Ian Lenagan has proved that he doesn't listen to the vocal minority and his decision last summer to re-appoint Wilder supports that.

Ian Lenagan also was the decision-maker when it came down to holding OR NOT contract negotiations with a manager who seemed intent to ignore the action plan being put in place at Oxford United.

Neither are anything to do with the supporters.

As for Saturday, well that's a tad different. A bunch of drunks and yobbos who had too much to drink during the day - starting off early in watering holes around London - contributed to that. However, they do have a point about the recent performances and are entitled to voice them. Likewise the players have a right to defend them. The issue is a breakdown of sorts between the two, which ultimately is not productive.
I also don't agree that anyone who wanted a change in manager is a muppet. Ian Lenagan has proved that he doesn't listen to the vocal minority and his decision last summer to re-appoint Wilder supports that. Ian Lenagan also was the decision-maker when it came down to holding OR NOT contract negotiations with a manager who seemed intent to ignore the action plan being put in place at Oxford United. Neither are anything to do with the supporters. As for Saturday, well that's a tad different. A bunch of drunks and yobbos who had too much to drink during the day - starting off early in watering holes around London - contributed to that. However, they do have a point about the recent performances and are entitled to voice them. Likewise the players have a right to defend them. The issue is a breakdown of sorts between the two, which ultimately is not productive. Open your eyes
  • Score: 11

5:16pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Dolly76 says...

Some interesting points. I wasn't there on Saturday, I can only base my thoughts on what I have heard from those that were and the match reports.
I don't know who did what, or who said what to whom, but although Jake Wright (or whoever) are professional athletes, they are also human beings first. It's very hard to not react, when you've trying your hardest and we lose like that. I don't believe any professional player and certainly not any Oxford player (and certainly not the likes or Wright, Whing or Constable for example) don't go out there and what to win. They may not be good enough, but that is not the same thing. There is always a section of football fans (from every team) who think they can say what they like, when a player responds in a similar fashion they don't like it. I've always found this odd, feel free to say what you want, but don't expect that whoever you aim your frustrations at, will just take it.
Some interesting points. I wasn't there on Saturday, I can only base my thoughts on what I have heard from those that were and the match reports. I don't know who did what, or who said what to whom, but although Jake Wright (or whoever) are professional athletes, they are also human beings first. It's very hard to not react, when you've trying your hardest and we lose like that. I don't believe any professional player and certainly not any Oxford player (and certainly not the likes or Wright, Whing or Constable for example) don't go out there and what to win. They may not be good enough, but that is not the same thing. There is always a section of football fans (from every team) who think they can say what they like, when a player responds in a similar fashion they don't like it. I've always found this odd, feel free to say what you want, but don't expect that whoever you aim your frustrations at, will just take it. Dolly76
  • Score: 6

6:01pm Mon 31 Mar 14

william12 says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
The only muppet is you snaky. The fans are fed up with the crap dished up each week. Each year conference include the team imploded the players we have are wilders legacy tactics boring pass it sideways backwards football. A change was needed wilder had a better job offer and he was off. As for the players wright included they have been embarrassing to watch, no I dont agree with abuse but a few home truths may sink in.
The new manager will be given time , get his own players in and hopefully introduce a bit of excitement in the football.
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]The only muppet is you snaky. The fans are fed up with the crap dished up each week. Each year conference include the team imploded the players we have are wilders legacy tactics boring pass it sideways backwards football. A change was needed wilder had a better job offer and he was off. As for the players wright included they have been embarrassing to watch, no I dont agree with abuse but a few home truths may sink in. The new manager will be given time , get his own players in and hopefully introduce a bit of excitement in the football. william12
  • Score: 2

7:41pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Eraser says...

I went Saturday as part of the "yellow army away day" initiative. I was disgusted by the behaviour of some of our so called "supporters". Most of the mindless morons just wanted to get blind drunk and intimidate or insult anyone not bearing the OUFC logo and god help you if you had a different club badge. These were the same idiots picking arguements with Jake and team at the end of the match. It took me back to the disgraceful late 70's and early 80's. If you''re reading this - assuming you can - you should be ashamed and as far as I'm concerned if you want perpetual success then go and support Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern Munich - you are not welcome at OUFC..
I went Saturday as part of the "yellow army away day" initiative. I was disgusted by the behaviour of some of our so called "supporters". Most of the mindless morons just wanted to get blind drunk and intimidate or insult anyone not bearing the OUFC logo and god help you if you had a different club badge. These were the same idiots picking arguements with Jake and team at the end of the match. It took me back to the disgraceful late 70's and early 80's. If you''re reading this - assuming you can - you should be ashamed and as far as I'm concerned if you want perpetual success then go and support Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern Munich - you are not welcome at OUFC.. Eraser
  • Score: 13

7:43pm Mon 31 Mar 14

learned says...

Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Well Mr Snakey !
Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that.
What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up.
Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard.
As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ?
[quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Well Mr Snakey ! Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that. What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up. Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard. As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ? learned
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Mon 31 Mar 14

oldun says...

learned wrote:
Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Well Mr Snakey !
Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that.
What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up.
Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard.
As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ?
Hear, hear - Chris was not up to taking us up by the automatic route (was he!) - we would have slipped much during those difficult subsequent away fixtures. Please take us up this season GW - no place for Smalley in the match day 18 . Start with Connolly
[quote][p][bold]learned[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Well Mr Snakey ! Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that. What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up. Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard. As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ?[/p][/quote]Hear, hear - Chris was not up to taking us up by the automatic route (was he!) - we would have slipped much during those difficult subsequent away fixtures. Please take us up this season GW - no place for Smalley in the match day 18 . Start with Connolly oldun
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Mon 31 Mar 14

oldun says...

learned wrote:
Sid Snakey wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season.

These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation.

Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club.

What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best?

Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it.

I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example).

Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else.

Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been.

And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.
Well Mr Snakey !
Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that.
What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up.
Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard.
As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ?
Hear, hear - Chris was not up to taking us up by the automatic route (was he!) - we would have slipped much during those difficult subsequent away fixtures. Please take us up this season GW - no place for Smalley in the match day 18 . Start with Connolly
[quote][p][bold]learned[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sid Snakey[/bold] wrote: I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can go on being a fan of Oxford United. It's not the club, the players, the ownership or the management. It's a section of our fans whose behaviour and attitude is so ignorant and boorish that (a) we have to witness scenes like this (against Jake Wright of all people!) and (b) we shoot ourselves in the foot (yet again) by losing our manager at a crucial stage of the season. These Muppet fans don't represent me at all in their misguided campaigns of hatred, yet they are able to influence our Chairman and now we find ourselves in this horrible, embarrassing, frustrating situation. Effectively, the Muppets have declared themselves responsible for deciding how long a manager can stay at this club. What is the point in me supporting the club, turning up week after week, getting behind the players and the manager, when all it takes is a few loudmouths to stoke discontent and force a manager out because they decide they know best? Well clearly they DON'T know best, as the current situation proves. Anyone who says they are glad Chris Wilder left is deluding themselves and unwilling to admit they were wrong. We have totally and utterly screwed up this season. And it's the Muppets who caused it. I of course wish the new manager every success, and I sincerely hope he gets us back on track, which is more than the Muppets can say, many of whom are already, astonishingly either calling for him to leave or questioning his appointment (see Oldun's barbed comment above as an example). Of course the Muppets will tell you I am wrong. They will tell you it is the Chairman who decides how long a manager stays, and more fool him if he listens to the fans. Unless of course he gave Wilder another contract in which case all hell breaks loose and season tickets are torn up and dummies ejected from prams because the Chairman "is not listening to the fans". No, the Muppets are not to blame for anything - they don't like taking responsibility for their actions, the blame must always lie with someone else. Well Muppets you got your way, and what a total and utter disaster it has been. And how long will you allow Waddock to remain at the club prey tell? Is that the faint sound of sharpening knives I hear? Someone must take the blame for this season's collapse Gary, and it won't be the people who forced Wilder out. Let's face it - if you can't turn things around, it's gonna be you.[/p][/quote]Well Mr Snakey ! Wilder was taking us no where and you must have seen the negative boring football he was dishing up week after week at home. 2 very bad defeats against Plymouth and Scunthorpe over the Christmas period and he had no idea how to change that. What has he done at Northampton ? Nothing and he has a real fight to keep them up. Give Waddock a chance although I am surprised that he has continued to pick Smalley who is not league standard. As for all the comments about Jake Wright - I can't remember the last time he had a good game. Shockers against Chesterfield and Southend and maybe it's time for him to go as well ?[/p][/quote]Hear, hear - Chris was not up to taking us up by the automatic route (was he!) - we would have slipped much during those difficult subsequent away fixtures. Please take us up this season GW - no place for Smalley in the match day 18 . Start with Connolly oldun
  • Score: 0

9:54am Tue 1 Apr 14

London_Ox says...

Eraser wrote:
I went Saturday as part of the "yellow army away day" initiative. I was disgusted by the behaviour of some of our so called "supporters". Most of the mindless morons just wanted to get blind drunk and intimidate or insult anyone not bearing the OUFC logo and god help you if you had a different club badge. These were the same idiots picking arguements with Jake and team at the end of the match. It took me back to the disgraceful late 70's and early 80's. If you''re reading this - assuming you can - you should be ashamed and as far as I'm concerned if you want perpetual success then go and support Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern Munich - you are not welcome at OUFC..
hear hear..

I was traveling to the game on the district line where there was a rowdy muppet element in the carriage next to me.. After a while the connecting emergency door opened and a woman with two kids came through, looking sacred and shaken.. It's like come on, if you can see small children are frightened, pipe it down a bit... There was one guy specially that was being a clown, blue shirt, glasses and dark curley hair.. He will probably get knocked out sooner or later by somebody.
[quote][p][bold]Eraser[/bold] wrote: I went Saturday as part of the "yellow army away day" initiative. I was disgusted by the behaviour of some of our so called "supporters". Most of the mindless morons just wanted to get blind drunk and intimidate or insult anyone not bearing the OUFC logo and god help you if you had a different club badge. These were the same idiots picking arguements with Jake and team at the end of the match. It took me back to the disgraceful late 70's and early 80's. If you''re reading this - assuming you can - you should be ashamed and as far as I'm concerned if you want perpetual success then go and support Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern Munich - you are not welcome at OUFC..[/p][/quote]hear hear.. I was traveling to the game on the district line where there was a rowdy muppet element in the carriage next to me.. After a while the connecting emergency door opened and a woman with two kids came through, looking sacred and shaken.. It's like come on, if you can see small children are frightened, pipe it down a bit... There was one guy specially that was being a clown, blue shirt, glasses and dark curley hair.. He will probably get knocked out sooner or later by somebody. London_Ox
  • Score: 9

11:08pm Tue 1 Apr 14

Davos P says...

I broadly agree with Sid Snakeys comments. It's amazing how many muppets there are within the 'support' Although I don't really class them as supporters, more like jaded imbeciles who are only happy when they smell blood. Fortunately, there are in the minority. Let's hope we can move forward on Saturday. The only thing I disagree with is that the season is unsalvagable. Let's get behind them on Saturday and help them recapture some form.
I broadly agree with Sid Snakeys comments. It's amazing how many muppets there are within the 'support' Although I don't really class them as supporters, more like jaded imbeciles who are only happy when they smell blood. Fortunately, there are in the minority. Let's hope we can move forward on Saturday. The only thing I disagree with is that the season is unsalvagable. Let's get behind them on Saturday and help them recapture some form. Davos P
  • Score: 4

10:35am Wed 2 Apr 14

dovepe says...

Wilder has gone His choice! HE'S HISTORY.forget Him and move on.
Wilder has gone His choice! HE'S HISTORY.forget Him and move on. dovepe
  • Score: 1

11:24am Wed 2 Apr 14

oldun says...

dovepe wrote:
Wilder has gone His choice! HE'S HISTORY.forget Him and move on.
Mr Thumbs down says - Of course, Chris jumped - he should have been sacked last year - he had plenty of chances to get a top three finishing side together. However, I liked him despite his reaction to criticism from fans and his team's boring Atkins like football of the past 18 months - surely with 70 applicants we must have found a better manager than Chris
[quote][p][bold]dovepe[/bold] wrote: Wilder has gone His choice! HE'S HISTORY.forget Him and move on.[/p][/quote]Mr Thumbs down says - Of course, Chris jumped - he should have been sacked last year - he had plenty of chances to get a top three finishing side together. However, I liked him despite his reaction to criticism from fans and his team's boring Atkins like football of the past 18 months - surely with 70 applicants we must have found a better manager than Chris oldun
  • Score: 1

12:49pm Wed 2 Apr 14

adlibber says...

Sid Snakey aka King Muppet of Muppet Land still hanging on to Wilder's coattails. Every argument Snakey has involves calling anyone who disagrees with his view a muppet whilst he basks in his own vanity. Oh to be such a loyal supporter standing alone whilst those pesky paying muppets grasp the reality of what's happening to the club. Snakey's short memory is what carries him through to his path of self righteousness.

Wilder has gone Snakey, he left because he didn't get what he wanted. Waddock (and I'm not keen on him either) has to be given time next season but he also has to be given resources to build a stronger team. I'm hoping Lenagan understands what's required and invests next season. Fans, and I include you in this snakey, deserve far better for their money after 4 continuous seasons of abject failure. Whatever you think Snakey, fans are the last people I'd blame for the disappointments on and off the pitch. In my opinion fans have been remarkably patient and have shown fantastic loyalty to a club that sometimes doesn't deserve it. Perhpas if you stopped calling fellow fans muppets just because they don't share your view you might get more people debating with you.
Sid Snakey aka King Muppet of Muppet Land still hanging on to Wilder's coattails. Every argument Snakey has involves calling anyone who disagrees with his view a muppet whilst he basks in his own vanity. Oh to be such a loyal supporter standing alone whilst those pesky paying muppets grasp the reality of what's happening to the club. Snakey's short memory is what carries him through to his path of self righteousness. Wilder has gone Snakey, he left because he didn't get what he wanted. Waddock (and I'm not keen on him either) has to be given time next season but he also has to be given resources to build a stronger team. I'm hoping Lenagan understands what's required and invests next season. Fans, and I include you in this snakey, deserve far better for their money after 4 continuous seasons of abject failure. Whatever you think Snakey, fans are the last people I'd blame for the disappointments on and off the pitch. In my opinion fans have been remarkably patient and have shown fantastic loyalty to a club that sometimes doesn't deserve it. Perhpas if you stopped calling fellow fans muppets just because they don't share your view you might get more people debating with you. adlibber
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree