National 2 South

CHINNOR held on to earn a memorable 26-22 victory over promotion-chasing Shelford at Kingsey Road.

Both sides scored four tries in an absorbing clash, with Chinnor fly half James Cathcart’s three conversions ultimately proving decisive.

Shelford’s powerful pack showed underlined their threat by driving Dane Grey over for a 14th-minute try.

Four minutes later, a hacked clearance from Shelford full back Alex Kelshall went straight to Chinnor prop Andy Berry, who motored in for Cathcart to convert.

Centre Trevor Powell, who impressed on his seasonal debut, took the ball up before Cathcart fed marauding lock David Hughes to break three tackles and score.

Hughes had also come on as a late replacement for Wasps in the previous night’s 22-17 LV Cup defeat to Cardiff.

Cathcart converted this and try No 3 from wing Leo Fielding, which came following good work by Powell and wing Tristan Corpe.

Shelford came out fired up after the break, scoring through forwards Matt Gregerson and Gray.

Chinnor hit back with Powell jinking his way through for 26-15 after a series of rucks.

Shelford’s pressure saw Scott Jackowski touch down on 73 minutes, with Steve Smith converting.

Henley Hawks slipped to a shock 49-5 defeat at Worthing.

Hawks saw their 100 per cent record ended in spectacular fashion, but still head the table by three points.

Worthing took the lead via a Joe Govett penalty, but then lost full back Matt McLean with a broken leg.

Play did not stop immediately and Hawks fly half James Comben exploited a gap to start a move that saw wing Richard Biggs speed over.

Henley centre Danny Wells was sin-binned and with a man down, they conceded tries to Worthing’s No 8 Rob Smith, replacement Matt Farnes and Govett, who converted two and added a penalty.

On 42 minutes, wing Alex Nielsen carved through for try No 4, Govett converting and slotting a penalty.

Scrum half Ben Dudley added an interception try, while lock Charlie McGowan crashed over, Govett converting both.