Cutteslowe parking zone will finally launch at end of month

Councillor Jean Fooks

Councillor Jean Fooks

First published in Oxford Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

PARKING chiefs have pledged that a new residents’ parking zone in North Oxford will be introduced by the end of the month.

The controlled parking zone (CPZ) in Cutteslowe was approved in February after a series of delays but has not yet been introduced.

Oxfordshire County Council has now promised that the necessary signs and markings for the scheme will be in place by the end of the month.

David Tole, the county council’s principal engineer, has apologised for the delays.

He said: “Prior to work starting on the ground, all properties in the CPZ will receive a letter explaining how to apply for permits, application forms and information on the documents that will be needed when applying for a permit and an indication of when the restrictions are expected to come into force.”

Parking problems in the area have been caused by commuters not wanting to pay for the Water Eaton park-and-ride – as well as Oxford City Council’s policy of charging people to use car parks such as Cutteslowe Park.

The CPZ has been in the pipeline for more than a year but because the original scheme relied on “non-standard” signs, it was not given approval by the Department for Transport.

At the time the first decision on the CPZ was made, the Government was approving non-standard signs.

But councils now have to use signs chosen from a list provided by the Department for Transport.

The Cutteslowe scheme was given approval again in February after being redrawn.

County councillor for Summertown and Wolvercote Jean Fooks said: “It has taken far too long since the scheme was approved.

“I hope that the timetable given will be met so that we can see whether the proposals really do provide the help to residents that they want.

“The county council promised to review this after a year and this should give the opportunity to see what tweaks might be needed to make it better for residents across the whole area.”

County council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: “We have not yet decided on a definite implementation date, but we expect to be writing to residents with more information in the next week, once work in the necessary signs and lines has started.”

Our top stories:

County MPs shy away from call for new inquiry

Oxford Mail:

7:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

OXFORDSHIRE’s Tory MPs have shied away from backing Andrew Smith’s demand for an independent public inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal.

Shocked residents now 'look out' for safety of each other

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 5th March 2015

MEMBERS of the East Oxford community have said everybody should take responsibility for what happens on their doorstep.

'Police failed but no-one recognised problem'

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE detective who uncovered the Bullfinch scandal has said Thames Valley Police let the victims down.

'I couldn't have done things differently as council leader'

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE former leader of Oxfordshire County Council “holds his hands up” that it failed the victims of the Bullfinch scandal under his watch.

IPCC to consider action against individual staff

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) will investigate to see if any police officers or staff will be disciplined.

Support groups 'can help tackle abuse problem'

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

VOLUNTARY organisations have called for the authorities to use them more to help tackle child sexual exploitation in Oxfordshire.

Bullfinch: Picture of abuse is put together piece by piece

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE Kingfisher Unit was set up to deal with the sexual exploitation of children revealed by Thames Valley Police’s Operation Bullfinch.

Festival voice: Tom Jones to top bill at Cornbury

Oxford Mail:

12:10am Thursday 5th March 2015

CROONER Sir Tom Jones has been named as the big name headliner for this summer's Cornbury Festival.

Pedestrian seriously injured after collision with car used in petrol theft at Heyford Hill

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:38pm Wednesday 4th March 2015

A pedestrian was left with "serious injuries" after being involved in a collision with a thief's car, police said.

MP calls for a public inquiry into failures to protect girls

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CALLS for an independent inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal and police and social services’ failings were growing last night.

Evidence of gang's organised abuse was ignored for years

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHILD protection authorities feared an organised gang of paedophiles was prostituting vulnerable girls four years before Operation Bullfinch was launched – but nothing was done.

This was an honest review, says Hudspeth

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

THE leader of Oxfordshire County Council said “everyone was open and honest” about the failings exposed by the Serious Case Review.

Campaigner calling for heads to roll

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

A CHILD safety campaigner last night accused Joanna Simons and Sara Thornton of lacking integrity for refusing to take personal responsibility for Oxfordshire County Council and Thames Valley Police’s failings.

County council chief executive says she will not quit early

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

JOANNA Simons has resisted calls for her resignation and refused to say if she would take a pay off when she leaves Oxfordshire County Council.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:23am Tue 20 May 14

Oxonian says...

The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL.

The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless!
The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL. The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless! Oxonian
  • Score: 6

12:36pm Tue 20 May 14

King Joke says...

They're both dealing with the same problem though, of how to accommodate large influxes of cars which occur where there is a trip generator, in this case a park.
They're both dealing with the same problem though, of how to accommodate large influxes of cars which occur where there is a trip generator, in this case a park. King Joke
  • Score: 1

1:31pm Tue 20 May 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke wrote:
They're both dealing with the same problem though, of how to accommodate large influxes of cars which occur where there is a trip generator, in this case a park.
There was no problem with "large influxes of cars" at Cutteslowe Park until our short-sighted councillors decided to charge for the car park. Parking should remain free at all our parks to encourage people to use them.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: They're both dealing with the same problem though, of how to accommodate large influxes of cars which occur where there is a trip generator, in this case a park.[/p][/quote]There was no problem with "large influxes of cars" at Cutteslowe Park until our short-sighted councillors decided to charge for the car park. Parking should remain free at all our parks to encourage people to use them. Oxonian
  • Score: 8

1:33pm Tue 20 May 14

King Joke says...

I'll be less likely to use a park if I have to fight my way through an over-subscribed car park to walk to it. I'm very happy for the City to get rid of them, or at least moderate demand by charging.
I'll be less likely to use a park if I have to fight my way through an over-subscribed car park to walk to it. I'm very happy for the City to get rid of them, or at least moderate demand by charging. King Joke
  • Score: 0

4:43pm Tue 20 May 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke wrote:
I'll be less likely to use a park if I have to fight my way through an over-subscribed car park to walk to it. I'm very happy for the City to get rid of them, or at least moderate demand by charging.
Whenever I used the Cutteslowe car park, I never had to "fight my way" through it.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: I'll be less likely to use a park if I have to fight my way through an over-subscribed car park to walk to it. I'm very happy for the City to get rid of them, or at least moderate demand by charging.[/p][/quote]Whenever I used the Cutteslowe car park, I never had to "fight my way" through it. Oxonian
  • Score: 7

7:00pm Tue 20 May 14

Major Rhode-Werks says...

Oxonian wrote:
The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL.

The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless!
Don't be so naive, they know exactly what they are doing - raising money (and lots of it). Each year it seems we have to pay more and more for less and less and I'm sure they'll keep dreaming up more ways to rob us.
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL. The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless![/p][/quote]Don't be so naive, they know exactly what they are doing - raising money (and lots of it). Each year it seems we have to pay more and more for less and less and I'm sure they'll keep dreaming up more ways to rob us. Major Rhode-Werks
  • Score: 7

8:31pm Tue 20 May 14

mytaxes says...

Why do taxpayers let this greedy city council get away with it? No doubt this week they will be voted in again on a promise to increase our council tax and cut services. One thing is for sure our councillors must think we are all idiots.
Why do taxpayers let this greedy city council get away with it? No doubt this week they will be voted in again on a promise to increase our council tax and cut services. One thing is for sure our councillors must think we are all idiots. mytaxes
  • Score: 5

8:37pm Tue 20 May 14

King Joke says...

My council tax is high enough as it is. If it is reduced a little by charging people for parking then so be it. Why should my taxes be subsidising such a low-density use of astronomically expensive land which I will never benefit from?

People are far too soft these days are willing to whinge when they don't get their way. If you like Cutteslowe Park that much you can walk, or put up with paying to park. You can't have everything you want, get over it.
My council tax is high enough as it is. If it is reduced a little by charging people for parking then so be it. Why should my taxes be subsidising such a low-density use of astronomically expensive land which I will never benefit from? People are far too soft these days are willing to whinge when they don't get their way. If you like Cutteslowe Park that much you can walk, or put up with paying to park. You can't have everything you want, get over it. King Joke
  • Score: -1

8:42pm Tue 20 May 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke,

You say "If you like Cutteslowe Park that much you can walk". Had it not occurred to you that I am disabled? Well, I am, and need the car to reach such places as Cutteslowe Park.
King Joke, You say "If you like Cutteslowe Park that much you can walk". Had it not occurred to you that I am disabled? Well, I am, and need the car to reach such places as Cutteslowe Park. Oxonian
  • Score: 3

7:45am Wed 21 May 14

King Joke says...

Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car.

Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up.
Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car. Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up. King Joke
  • Score: 0

11:03pm Wed 21 May 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke wrote:
Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car.

Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up.
What an insulting message! So I have to "grow up", do I?
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car. Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up.[/p][/quote]What an insulting message! So I have to "grow up", do I? Oxonian
  • Score: -3

8:11am Thu 22 May 14

King Joke says...

Oxonian, you get free parking, because, sensibly, provision has been made for persons of reduced mobility. THe article does not therefore apply to you.

It is those people who are perfectly able to walk, cycle, get the bus, or afford to pay for parking who need to stop moaning. I don't see why parking should be doled out by the state Soviet-style any more than goods like food should be.
Oxonian, you get free parking, because, sensibly, provision has been made for persons of reduced mobility. THe article does not therefore apply to you. It is those people who are perfectly able to walk, cycle, get the bus, or afford to pay for parking who need to stop moaning. I don't see why parking should be doled out by the state Soviet-style any more than goods like food should be. King Joke
  • Score: 1

3:55pm Fri 23 May 14

deedee444 says...

King Joke wrote:
Oxonian, you get free parking, because, sensibly, provision has been made for persons of reduced mobility. THe article does not therefore apply to you.

It is those people who are perfectly able to walk, cycle, get the bus, or afford to pay for parking who need to stop moaning. I don't see why parking should be doled out by the state Soviet-style any more than goods like food should be.
King Jerk.............do you really think that your council tax will be reduced by the robbing council charging for a car park??? The car park should be free as should the park and ride be free....the council don't want cars in the city centre but on the other hand would go bust if cars didn't use the city centre car parks.......they take the p as far as I can see ........
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Oxonian, you get free parking, because, sensibly, provision has been made for persons of reduced mobility. THe article does not therefore apply to you. It is those people who are perfectly able to walk, cycle, get the bus, or afford to pay for parking who need to stop moaning. I don't see why parking should be doled out by the state Soviet-style any more than goods like food should be.[/p][/quote]King Jerk.............do you really think that your council tax will be reduced by the robbing council charging for a car park??? The car park should be free as should the park and ride be free....the council don't want cars in the city centre but on the other hand would go bust if cars didn't use the city centre car parks.......they take the p as far as I can see ........ deedee444
  • Score: 2

6:33pm Fri 23 May 14

King Joke says...

Er it's the County that don't want cars in the City Centre - OTS and Park & Ride are County schemes. THe City Council is fairly ambivalent on the issue because, as you point out, they rely on the City Centre parking revenue.

As it happens yes I do think, actually I know, my council tax will go up if they dole out free parking, as they will lose revenue. Tesco would lose money if they gave away free bread. Parking revenue is no different.
Er it's the County that don't want cars in the City Centre - OTS and Park & Ride are County schemes. THe City Council is fairly ambivalent on the issue because, as you point out, they rely on the City Centre parking revenue. As it happens yes I do think, actually I know, my council tax will go up if they dole out free parking, as they will lose revenue. Tesco would lose money if they gave away free bread. Parking revenue is no different. King Joke
  • Score: 0

3:03am Sun 25 May 14

The New Private Eye says...

King Joke wrote:
Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car.

Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up.
I agree, the council needs to raise an incredible amount of money to cover the £millions that it pays to Mr Souter. Which I find politically and morally strange for a council that is anti-homophobia and anti-racist, unlike Mr Souter who is both homophobic and racist.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Er disabled parking is free, for the very good reason that you need a car. Unlike yourself plenty of people think they 'need' to drive everywhere when in fact they want to. 'Want' and 'need' are different things, and a culture of dependency has grown around pandering to 'wants' rather than addressing needs. I don't get free bread, phone calls or bus fares. I might like these things but tough sh't - l won't get them. Free parking shouldn't be any different, people should stop whingeing and grow up.[/p][/quote]I agree, the council needs to raise an incredible amount of money to cover the £millions that it pays to Mr Souter. Which I find politically and morally strange for a council that is anti-homophobia and anti-racist, unlike Mr Souter who is both homophobic and racist. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 0

11:39am Sun 25 May 14

JanetJ says...

Oxonian wrote:
The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL.

The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless!
But its the County charging for Water Eaton though isn't it? that's what has hit commuters the most. I know several people who park in this area then walk in and out of town to work each day
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: The parking problems around Cutteslowe Park were mainly caused by the City Council imposing parking fees at Cutteslowe's car parks. The COUNTY COUNCIL then imposes a parking zone, charging residents £50 annually for parking, to try to deal with the problems created by the actions of the CITY COUNCIL. The left hand and the right had don't seem to know what each other is doing. Hopeless![/p][/quote]But its the County charging for Water Eaton though isn't it? that's what has hit commuters the most. I know several people who park in this area then walk in and out of town to work each day JanetJ
  • Score: 0

9:54pm Mon 26 May 14

King Joke says...

Private Eye, 90-something percent of bus services in Oxfordshire are commercial and the County pays nothing to support them. Stagecoach do operate some of the small number of tendered services, however the personal views of owning interests (and Stagecoach is a PLC so there are many owning interests) are not something the County is allowed to take into consideration when awarding tenders.

Janet J, if people park in Cutteslowe why don't they just get a regular (non Park & Ride) bus into town? It's a long walk.
Private Eye, 90-something percent of bus services in Oxfordshire are commercial and the County pays nothing to support them. Stagecoach do operate some of the small number of tendered services, however the personal views of owning interests (and Stagecoach is a PLC so there are many owning interests) are not something the County is allowed to take into consideration when awarding tenders. Janet J, if people park in Cutteslowe why don't they just get a regular (non Park & Ride) bus into town? It's a long walk. King Joke
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree