Leader 'can't guarantee this won't cost council taxpayers'

THE leader of Oxford City Council said last night he could not guarantee taxpayers’ money would not be spent on reducing the size of the student blocks.

Bob Price said: “I can’t guarantee anything at this stage.

“Any proposition that comes back from these talks will have to go to full council for a decision.

“But in terms of financial availability it [reducing the buildings’ height] would be very expensive.”

Mr Price said that although the development did not interrupt the views of the city, he did not find it attractive.

He said: “It does look different from what I expected.

“I think it is a rather unattractive design. The building materials are very stark and aggressive, and it does not blend in at all with the environment.”

However, he said that he did not regret the council’s decision to grant planning permission, and that nothing had gone wrong in the decision-making process.

He added: “What has happened is that you see the drawings on a map or a plan, then you see a photographic representation and take a judgment because you think that looks okay.

“But when it is first built then it is a much more stark and immediate prospect.

Related links

“People make judgments on all sorts of things and find out it is not what they thought it was.

“It is very clear that the application was very minutely described and was fully considered but it was a matter of judgment and the difference between that judgment and reality is a cause for concern.

“I am happy with the process, but not necessarily the decision because it has provoked a regrettable public reaction.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:52am Sat 9 Feb 13

Cathena says...

The council could try listening to comments from the locals - some of them actually make sense.
The council could try listening to comments from the locals - some of them actually make sense. Cathena
  • Score: 0

9:58am Sat 9 Feb 13

faatmaan says...

and the oxford mail could state where these blocks are !
and the oxford mail could state where these blocks are ! faatmaan
  • Score: 0

10:50am Sat 9 Feb 13

Dilligaf2010 says...

faatmaan wrote:
and the oxford mail could state where these blocks are !
One hour ago in news;- http://www.oxfordmai
l.co.uk/news/1021785
5.__1m_U_turn__Call_
to_take_two_storeys_
off_building/
It's not a new story, only took me a few seconds to search
[quote][p][bold]faatmaan[/bold] wrote: and the oxford mail could state where these blocks are ![/p][/quote]One hour ago in news;- http://www.oxfordmai l.co.uk/news/1021785 5.__1m_U_turn__Call_ to_take_two_storeys_ off_building/ It's not a new story, only took me a few seconds to search Dilligaf2010
  • Score: 0

2:46am Sun 10 Feb 13

Grunden Skip says...

Cathena wrote:
The council could try listening to comments from the locals - some of them actually make sense.
But most like these, do not make sense and waste our money. Just let them (The Uni) carry on with the buildings, they hurt nobody but the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value. For God's sake the RED BRICK HOUSES at the Wolvecote end of the meadow are far more ugly and are right on the meadow, yet no complaints there. could it be that some of the the protesters live there?
[quote][p][bold]Cathena[/bold] wrote: The council could try listening to comments from the locals - some of them actually make sense.[/p][/quote]But most like these, do not make sense and waste our money. Just let them (The Uni) carry on with the buildings, they hurt nobody but the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value. For God's sake the RED BRICK HOUSES at the Wolvecote end of the meadow are far more ugly and are right on the meadow, yet no complaints there. could it be that some of the the protesters live there? Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

12:02am Mon 11 Feb 13

Geoff Roberts says...

"the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value"

Right, sure. Even if that were true it wouldn't matter because local communities matter, full stop. As for the red brick houses (all in CAPS): they don't tower above the meadow and trees. Not sure why I'm bother to point all this out because you'll just go with your fantasy version of things.


And this from Bob Price:
“What has happened is that you see the drawings on a map or a plan, then you see a photographic representation and take a judgment because you think that looks okay.

“But when it is first built then it is a much more stark and immediate prospect."

The man is incompetent. "Oops, I didn't realise it'd look like that".
"the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value" Right, sure. Even if that were true it wouldn't matter because local communities matter, full stop. As for the red brick houses (all in CAPS): they don't tower above the meadow and trees. Not sure why I'm bother to point all this out because you'll just go with your fantasy version of things. And this from Bob Price: “What has happened is that you see the drawings on a map or a plan, then you see a photographic representation and take a judgment because you think that looks okay. “But when it is first built then it is a much more stark and immediate prospect." The man is incompetent. "Oops, I didn't realise it'd look like that". Geoff Roberts
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Mon 11 Feb 13

Grunden Skip says...

Geoff Roberts wrote:
"the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value"

Right, sure. Even if that were true it wouldn't matter because local communities matter, full stop. As for the red brick houses (all in CAPS): they don't tower above the meadow and trees. Not sure why I'm bother to point all this out because you'll just go with your fantasy version of things.


And this from Bob Price:
“What has happened is that you see the drawings on a map or a plan, then you see a photographic representation and take a judgment because you think that looks okay.

“But when it is first built then it is a much more stark and immediate prospect."

The man is incompetent. "Oops, I didn't realise it'd look like that".
All plans look great in the artists impression, so what is your point. This went through all democratic channels, and the protesters did not give a **** then. The Wolvecote RED BRICK HOUSES are more of an eyesore as they back right onto the meadow, this Uni development is next to three others and is not on the meadow. But as we all know Geoff you are always right, so lets leave it there.
[quote][p][bold]Geoff Roberts[/bold] wrote: "the greenies that have million pound homes near the meadow are care for nothing but themselves and their property value" Right, sure. Even if that were true it wouldn't matter because local communities matter, full stop. As for the red brick houses (all in CAPS): they don't tower above the meadow and trees. Not sure why I'm bother to point all this out because you'll just go with your fantasy version of things. And this from Bob Price: “What has happened is that you see the drawings on a map or a plan, then you see a photographic representation and take a judgment because you think that looks okay. “But when it is first built then it is a much more stark and immediate prospect." The man is incompetent. "Oops, I didn't realise it'd look like that".[/p][/quote]All plans look great in the artists impression, so what is your point. This went through all democratic channels, and the protesters did not give a **** then. The Wolvecote RED BRICK HOUSES are more of an eyesore as they back right onto the meadow, this Uni development is next to three others and is not on the meadow. But as we all know Geoff you are always right, so lets leave it there. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

10:06am Tue 12 Feb 13

Hafiz Ladell says...

Bob Price, Oxford's own Supreme Leader, demonstrates how much thought goes in to his decision making. This whole debacle, likely to cost the council taxpayer a stonking £1million, is a direct result of the new minimal oversight, absence of scrutiny, all power to the executive, local government model.
Bob Price, Oxford's own Supreme Leader, demonstrates how much thought goes in to his decision making. This whole debacle, likely to cost the council taxpayer a stonking £1million, is a direct result of the new minimal oversight, absence of scrutiny, all power to the executive, local government model. Hafiz Ladell
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree