FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at email@example.com or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
4:03pm Friday 19th December 2014
A CAR fire and oil spillage closed the A40 westbound causing severe delays.
12:00pm Friday 19th December 2014
A PENSIONER was “severely” injured when he was attacked in his car by a motorcyclist in Cutteslowe, police said.
11:30am Friday 19th December 2014
A BODY was found after a fire at a caravan site motorhome.
6:00am Tuesday 9th December 2014
December is Advent Calendar time and we have a special new interactive graphic for you each and every day until Christmas Eve. I've chosen the best 24 pictures of 2014 and I'll be unveiling one a day - so what is behind's today's door?
9:30am Friday 19th December 2014
John Campbell admits it would be difficult to keep his kit on if he was able to make an impact on debut for Oxford United tomorrow.