FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
8:30am Wednesday 1st July 2015
THE number of young people self-harming in the county has risen by more than 100 in a year.
9:21pm Wednesday 1st July 2015
THE Mayor of Wantage tonight said he was "amazed" after a controversial retirement apartments scheme for the town was approved.
5:34pm Wednesday 1st July 2015
A MAN was taken to hospital after a crash between a car and a motorcycle this morning.
5:24pm Wednesday 1st July 2015
Trains have been cancelled on First Great Western services between Oxford and Worcester Shrub Hill due to a broken down train.
5:19pm Wednesday 1st July 2015
TRAFFIC jams are this evening causing delays for bus passengers in Oxfordshire.
3:20pm Wednesday 1st July 2015
THE police helicopter was scrambled into action after a motorist stopped on suspicion of using his phone at the wheel fled from traffic officers.