FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
5:00pm Tuesday 5th May 2015
A MAN trapped under a fallen tree was taken to hospital after being rescued by fire crews this morning.
2:49pm Tuesday 5th May 2015
HARCOURT Arboretum should be open tomorrow after closing today because of strong winds.
2:24pm Tuesday 5th May 2015
A GIRL missing from Milton Keynes could be in the Oxford area, police said.
11:14am Tuesday 5th May 2015
POLICE have released images of a stolen Land Rover almost two months after it was taken.
12:16am Tuesday 5th May 2015
A FIRE at the Kassam Stadium is being treated by police as suspected arson.
9:00am Tuesday 5th May 2015
Michael Appleton is confident Oxford United’s strong form at the end of the season can be translated into prolonged success across the whole of the next campaign.