ARSONISTS who killed a young brother and sister in a house fire 17 years ago have been branded “evil and sick” by a woman accused of murder.
Fiaz Munshi broke down on the witness stand as she told jurors she knew nothing about the fire that killed Anum, eight, and her brother Majid, 15, in 1997.
She swore on the lives on her own four children that she had no idea that an arson attack was planned for the house in Magdalen Road, Oxford.
The 38-year-old is accused of plotting a revenge attack when she was 21, amidst a bitter argument with former boyfriend Amjad Khan’s family, who lived at the house.
The mother-of-four began giving evidence at Oxford Crown Court yesterday.
When her barrister Stephen Kamlish asked her what she thought of those responsible, she said: “I think they are evil and sick to do something like that.”
Munshi admitted she was part of the group that travelled to Oxford on the night of the blaze, but said she thought she was going for a fight.
She said: “I swear on my four children’s lives s Continued on Page 2 I did not know about a fire that was going to happen.
“If I had known I would not have got in that car.”
Five men - including her former boyfriend Haq Nawaz - were convicted of the murders in 1998. Her older sister Riaz was convicted of manslaughter a year later.
Jurors heard Munshi left the UK three months after the fire to be with her ill father in Pakistan.
But the former Donnington Middle School pupil said she was not afraid when she returned to the UK in 2004, adding: “Why should I not come back? I have not done anything wrong, I have got nothing to hide.
“I am not guilty of murder.”
Munshi said she was arrested at her Oldham home in October last year - five days after she reported a crime in her street.
And she told jurors her four children, the oldest of whom is 12, still thought she was abroad with her parents.
Prosecutors say Munshi plotted the fire when she was banished from Oxford for fighting with the Khan family.
It was said the Khans blamed her and her friends when their son Amjad was sent to prison for dealing heroin.
But Munshi yesterday said her older brothers had told her and her sister to leave their home, in Freelands Road, because Riaz refused to take part in an arranged marriage in Pakistan.
Munshi also told jurors she was in her pyjamas and ready to go to bed on the night of the fire.
She told the court that was when then-boyfriend Nawaz told her to come to Oxford to fight Shehnaz Akhtar - the older sister of her ex-boyfriend.
She said: “I agreed because I was scared of him.
“I would have pulled her hair and punched her but nothing more.
“He lied because he had another plan up his sleeve which I never knew anything about.”
And she said she lied to police after the fire because Nawaz told her to stick to his story or she would go to prison for a long time.
The trial continues.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Our top stories
3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014
A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning.
11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014
A TEENAGER was raped in central Oxford this morning by a man she met in a nightclub.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.
9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014
A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.
Google wipes search results for 20 people's convictions after just one person's 'Right To Be Forgotten' request
8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014
THE convictions of 20 people have been wiped from Google search results because of a single complaint in the latest controversy caused by a controversial European privacy ruling.