A WOMAN has told a court how her family was harassed with phone calls in the months leading up to an arson attack which killed two of her siblings.
Annis Akhtar was yesterday giving evidence on the third day of a murder trial at Oxford Crown Cour.
Fiaz Munshi, 38, is accused of murdering eight-year-old Anum Khan and her brother Majid, 15, in a revenge arson plot after she was shamed in a family feud.
The Khan family had blamed Munshi and others after their son Amjad – who was in a secret relationship with her – was jailed for plotting to deal heroin. The siblings died in a fire at their family home in Magdalen Road, Oxford, in August 1997. Miss Akhtar said there were calls to the house landline continuously and it was believed that Munshi, now of Manley Road in Oldham, and her sister Riaz were behind them. Riaz was later jailed for manslaughter.
She said Anum answered a call the evening before the fire. Miss Akhtar said: “She told my dad ‘it’s those silly girls again’.”
Miss Akhtar also told the court about a fight with the sisters at their then homein Freelands Road, Oxford.
She said Riaz shouted at Miss Akhtar and her mother, sister and brother Majid: “You are playing with fire.”
Defence barrister Stephen Kamlish said this had been made up as it had not been mentioned in her first statement to police two days after the fire. He said: “You and your sisters and brother have all thought about the impression you are creating with the jury and you are thinking carefully about how you are giving your evidence.”
Prosecutor Neil Moore said to Miss Akhtar: “It is being suggested this is a family invention, what do you say to that.”
She said: “There would be no need. We had suffered a great loss and had gone through a lot of pain coming to terms with what happened.”
Five men were jailed for the murder in 1998.
The trial will continue on Monday.
• Our top stories:
5:10pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was raped in Barns Road, Cowley on her way to the bus stop. According to Thames Valley Police the girl was walking to the stop before Blackbird Leys bridge between 2pm and 4pm on Sunday, September 20. She was approached by a man who walked alongside her. As they came to the bridge he grabbed her arm and pulled her down to a muddy track at the side of the bridge. He then raped the victim and left her on the track, walking away. The offender is described as white, aged in his late teens, 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins tall and slim. He had very short dark hair, blue eyes, freckles on his face and a short ginger beard, and was wearing a chain around his neck, black trainers and dark grey Nike jogging bottoms. The girl reported the rape to police on Tuesday ((06/10)) this week. Investigating officer Det Insp Steve Raffield of Banbury CID said: “Specialist officers are supporting the victim who has reported this rape to us. "What happened to this young girl is unimaginable and I am sure that members of the public will be shocked to hear about this incident, which happened in broad daylight. "“A full investigation is now under way and there are officers in the area today making enquiries and providing reassurance to members of the public who may have concerns. “Incidents like this are extremely rare, but it is essential that we identify the offender as soon as possible. I would urge anyone who has any information about this incident, or who saw or heard anything out of the ordinary in the Barns Road area around the time of the offence, to contact me as soon as possible by calling 101.”
5:00pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A boy has been taken to hospital after being involved in a crash in Bicester.
6:36pm Thursday 8th October 2015
CCTV footage from an Oxford travellers’ site has shown a man who was allegedly kept as a slave being pushed around and treated “like a ragdoll”.
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
AN E-FIT of a man who ran away after being caught holding a little girl's hand in Greater Leys has been released by Thames Valley Police. According to officers, a two-year-old girl was playing outside a property in Shepherds Hill at about 6.20pm on Friday, September 11. When her mother came to check on her she saw a man holding the girl's hand. When she challenged the man, he ran away. He is described as white, in his thirties, about 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins with short spiky blond or brown hair. He was wearing a knee-length jacket that may have been leather. Investigating officer Det Con Lorna Briggs of Force CID in Oxford said: “We are keeping an open mind regarding this incident. There might be a innocent explanation as to why the man was holding the girl’s hand. “If anyone recognises the man in the E-fit or has any information about the incident then please contact your local police station."
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A BEGGAR has been banned by police from approaching people in Oxford and asking them for money, food or cigarettes.
7:50am Thursday 8th October 2015
MISSING teen Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton was found safe and well last night.