SUNSEEKERS headed out in their droves as Oxfordshire bathed in the hottest weather this year so far.
The mercury shot to 22.8°C in Brize Norton on Saturday, the warm-est part of the county all weekend, and 20.9°C yesterday.
And after a miserable winter of downpours and flooding, swimmers could not wait to cool off with a dip in Oxfordshire’s outdoor pool.
Jonia Hasler, six, at Cherwell Boathouse
Anna Wishlade, 10, from Headington, headed to Oxford’s Hinksey outdoor pool with her brother Louis, 12, to cool off.
The St Andrew’s Primary School pupil said: “It was fun and clean. I have been to the pool twice this year and I like swimming. I like to splash my brother.”
Her mother Faith said: “The pool is a little oasis in the middle of Oxford. We’ve had a great weekend with lots of fun. The weather has been superb. It feels like the middle of July. “ The average temperature for Oxford in May is usually 17.1°C .
Zhai Tan and Fiona Tay play frisbee in Oxford University Parks
Met Office spokeswoman Nicola Maxey said: “For Oxfordshire at the weekend we’ve had temperatures that are the hottest of the year so far, at 22.°8C.”
The hottest day on record for Oxfordshire saw temperatures soar to 35.6°C at RAF Benson on August 3, 1990.
Mosley, five, from Rose Hill with mum Ossi
Friends Xiomara Wellington-Faissal, six, Naomi Paton, three, and Zephaniah Wellington-Faissal, three, cooled off with a splash in Hinksey pool.
Pegasus School pupil Xiomara said: “It was really lovely and lots of fun. I love swimming. I’m excited for the summer.”
Meanwhile, students took their minds off books and flocked to the University Parks.
Zhai Tan and friend Fiona Tay joined in a game of frisbee on Saturday.
A runner makes the most of a sunny South Park
Biochemistry student Tan, 22, said: “There were 10 to 14 of us. It has been a long-time since I’ve seen the sunshine in the city.”
Our top stories:
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her