Tim Wiseman enjoying his water-based lifestyle
- Peace, quiet and the beauty of the Oxfordshire countryside – just minutes from the bustle of the city and all it offers
- Watch the seasons – glorious days of sunshine and swimming in the summer, atmospheric misty autumn mornings, crisp frost of winter and the rebirth of spring
- Breakfast on Port Meadow with the sun coming up
- The cosiness of a roaring stove on a cold winter day
- Living Green – minimise your impact through a more sustainable way of life
- Kingfishers and otters, grebes and water voles – live with nature all around you
- Waking up somewhere different each morning, whenever you fancy it
- Three steps to moving house: Start engine, cast off, get cruising....
- Our own little community, quick to help each other
- Some of the best Oxfordshire pubs are riverside
And the alternative list:
- Shaking the poo-box out. Or forgetting to.
- Using river water to wash up with ‘cos the tap has frozen again
- Rats eating one’s shoelaces
- Neighbour’s bagpipes
- Borrowing Barry’s post-box key (which is stored on a chain, tucked into his underpants on warm days)
Floods, floods, floods and retrieving one’s possessions from the mire
- Having to tell people we still have to pay Council Tax
- Rowers. God I hate rowers, with their megaphones and shouty “we own the river” attitudes.
- Running out of gas mid-shower/mid-roast chicken
- If you want to contribute to our 10 Reasons... section, please email us your submission
- You can read our other lists at oxfordmail.co.uk/news/listicles