I ALWAYS read Memory Lane with interest and the issue of June 13 really aroused my curiosity.

The photograph of the Pressed Steel Fire Brigade prize winning team was the reason, as the man, second from left in the back row, named as Fireman Woodley, looks remarkably like my late father, Douglas Rowland.

My brother and his wife, as well as my daughters, all immediately identified the photograph as being dad/grandad, with no prompting from me.

We know that dad was employed at Pressed Steel from 1933-4. He enrolled in the Oxford City Auxiliary Fire Brigade in 1938 and could have been in the factory brigade before that.

He was a fireman throughout the war years, working around his day job repairing planes at Pressed Steel.

My brother and I also remember his helmet, though of course we don’t know if it was standard issue to all fire brigades.

The reason for writing is to ask whether there could be any mistake in the identifications.

Sadly, there will be no-one in the photograph still alive to solve the mystery. Can anyone help?

JOYCE COVELEY
Wheatley