ONE of those in the picture of the Far East Prisoners of War (FEPOW) at their annual reunion (Memory Lane, May 18 and June 1) is my father, Wilfred (Bill) Long.

The picture shows, left to right, Jack Hemmins, Fred Reeves, Frank Hemmins (brother of Jack who was not a Japanese PoW but in the Tank Regiment in North Africa), Tommy Bowen at the forefront (he was treasurer of the Oxford FEPOW group), next to him my father Wilfred (Bill) Long, chairman of the Oxford FEPOW group) and seated Ivo Poulter.

Jack Hemmins and his wife Madge were firm friends with my parents and were like an aunt and uncle to me.

The picture was taken at the Festival Hall in London where they all went annually to meet their fellow ex-PoWs.

A service was held, usually led by the Bishop of Birmingham, who was a fellow PoW.

They all travelled with their wives and later families to London each year and often stopped for lunch at a pub en route. There was always a raffle in the coach, much drink was consumed at the Festival Hall and there was much merriment on the return journey.

I have seen them meet other FEPOWs whom they hadn’t seen since they were PoWs – a very moving experience.

This reunion continued until there were not many left, but we now have an organisation called COFEPOW, Children of the Far East Prisoners of War, started by Carol Cooper.

We have the most wonderful memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Lichfield, which is definitely worth a visit.

It includes one of the gates from Changi Jail where PoWs were initially imprisoned by the Japanese after the fall of Singapore. It is the most moving of tributes so they will never be forgotten.

What a surprise to see this picture. I would have been there with them all on this occasion and I was so thrilled to read your article.

CILLA BROOKS
Milton Keynes