You published a photograph of Oxford members of the Far East Prisoners of War (FEPOW) organisation at a reunion (Memory Lane, May 18).

The man on the left of the group was my cousin Jack Hemmins, of Walton Well Road, Oxford.

He and his brother Frank lost their parents to tuberculosis at an early age. Jack was brought up by my grandmother Emily Beesley, and Frank by her sister Eva in London.

Jack served in the RAF air-sea rescue service. He was in Singapore waters when his boat was shelled by a Japanese destroyer and he was captured by the Japanese crew. He was sent to a prisoner of war camp where he spent the rest of the war. Jack lost one eye and damaged his legs in the camp. Returning to the UK, he weighed only seven stone. He died 12 years ago in his late eighties.

GH BEESLEY
Kidlington

Imagine my delight at seeing my dad after all these years in the prisoners of war picture.

Tommy Bowen was my father and although I cannot help with names of the others, I recognise them as they often called at his house in Horspath Road, Cowley, on FEPOW business. My dad was treasurer of the Oxford branch.

This picture was taken in the 1980s at the Royal Festival Hall in London, not the Royal Albert Hall. I was there with my mum at the wonderful celebrations they always produced.

PAT SANSOM (Mrs)
The Grates
Cowley