YOU’RE never too young to start blowing your own trumpet – or trombone.
During a break in the music at a fete in 1973, four-year-old Julian Lashmore borrowed the instrument from a Salvation Army bandsman to see what notes he could play.
The fete was held on the playing field at St Nicolas School, Abingdon, and raised £100 towards the £50,000 cost of building a new Salvation Army citadel in the town.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Memory Lane this week
- Remember when "Crocodile Dundee" visited Fritwell Carnival in 1968?
- Bells clanging and pumps roaring – the exciting days of city’s fire brigades
- No holding back as cricket heroes win knockout cup
- Remember When... north Oxfordshire pupils went to boarding school
- Remember When... St Edburg's school, Bicester, tried to raise £1m