THERE were smiles all round as these boys and their leaders posed for the cameraman. With shoes shining, socks pulled up, hats correctly positioned and uniforms neatly arranged, they looked a very polished outfit.

They were proud members of the Life Boys at Witney.

The picture was brought to the UK by Bryan Tinson, who lives in Australia and recently visited Oxfordshire to stay with relatives. He is sixth from the left in the back row.

He recalls that the group was affiliated to the Methodist Church in Witney High Street. It met once a week in the church hall and often took part in parades there.

He has identified some of his former colleagues – Teddy Bunch, Alan Embling, Harold Proberts, Geoff Bedward, the Bedward twins, Charlie Robinson, Colin Harris, Ray or Roy Savage, Pat Tooley, David Buckingham, Ralph Penny, Royston Woodcock, Barry Knight, Keith Penny, Michael Keats, Richard Bartlett, Brian Radbone and two called Newman and Newell.

He is hoping that Memory Lane readers can supply other names.

The Boys’ Life Brigade was formed in 1899 and amalgamated with the Boys’ Brigade in 1926, becoming its junior section.

It had its own song entitled I am a Life Boy, with the final verse:

I am a growing Life Boy

And proud I shall be made

When I am twelve, and then can join

The gallant Boys’ Brigade;

When I'm a man then me you’ll see

An Officer in the BB

Witney wasn’t the only place in Oxfordshire where the Life Boys flourished. South Oxford also had a thriving group led for many years by Marjorie Cowley.

Oxford Mail:

Marjorie Cowley, who ran the Life Boys in South Oxford, pictured on her 100th birthday at Cherwood House care home at Bicester in about 1948.

Miss Cowley was invited to play the piano for the Life Boys when the group was formed, alongside the Boys’ Brigade, in 1929 by the Rev David Stather Hunt, vicar of St Matthew’s Church.

She became leader-in-charge five years later and held the position until she retired in 1981. She was so highly regarded that many former members kept in touch with her.

One of her former charges, Alan Bowsher, said: “She was loved by everyone.”

Miss Cowley, who worked for Cooper & Boffin, the well-known Oxford bakers, was awarded the British Empire Medal for her youth work. She died in March, aged 102.

• Can we name any more of the Witney Life Boys in the picture above? Write and let me know.

Memory Lane: