Jubilee appeal offers chance to help community groups

Jayne Woodley, of the Jubilee Fund for Oxfordshire

Jayne Woodley, of the Jubilee Fund for Oxfordshire

First published in Oxfordshire Jubilee Fund Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by

THE modern day ‘Fairy Godmother’ behind the Jubilee Fund for O-fordshire wants us all to help make someone’s dreams come true.

Jayne Woodley, chief executive of the Oxfordshire Community Foundation (OCF), is at the helm of the fund which has been set up in the Queen’s Jubilee year to raise money for volunteer-run groups and charities.

Ms Woodley, 46, from Chipping Norton, said: “I like think of it as a ‘fairy godmother’ role because it really is making very hard working, worthy groups happy.

“Through donating to the Jubilee Fund, everyone who lives in Oxfordshire will be able to make a real difference to the future of others.”

Businesses, groups and individuals will be encouraged to donate throughout 2012, with the aim of creating cash grants and endowments to support community groups over the next 60 years.

A year-long programme of Jubilee fundraising ‘challenges’ began last week, when OCF launched the Jubilee Magic 60 challenge, urging businesses to donate £10 for every year of the Queen’s 60-year reign to the fund.

Solicitors’ firm Withy King got the ball rolling and it is hoped many of the county’s other 25,000 business will follow suit to help raise up to £20m for good causes.

Ms Woodley said: “Oxfordshire has hidden needs on our doorstep and the number of people needing caring support from our community groups is increasing. But these community groups are facing real challenges with serious funding cuts.

“Unfortunately, charity sort of has a bad name in that it can often be seen to begging for money. But it is very probable that most people in Oxfordshire will have been helped or know someone who has been helped by one of the groups we hope to support.”

Donations have already started arriving at OCF’s offices in Woodins Way, Oxford, and it is hoped that people planning Jubilee events and parties will also choose the Jubilee Fund as their benefactor.

Ms Woodley said: “We have an independent grants panel made up of local people and experts in their field who know the needs in the county.

“We are constantly inspired by the creative and innovative support that groups provide which literally enrich lives on a daily basis.”

For more details, click on the link below.

• To help raise funds, email jubilee@oxfordshire.org, call 01865 798666 or call in at OCF’s office at 3 Woodins Way, Oxford. People can also donate by phone by texting JBLE 12 to 70070.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:45pm Thu 8 Mar 12

EMBOX1 says...

O-fordshire? Never heard of it.

Has The Oxford Times been taken over by BT?
O-fordshire? Never heard of it. Has The Oxford Times been taken over by BT? EMBOX1
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Fri 9 Mar 12

morgeo says...

This sounds like a great idea and there is a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from working for charitable organisations. Well Done.
Having said that it would be nice if the government would get on board with this way of thinking. I work at least 3 times a week for the Royal Canadian Legion and the Kiwani's. Now I live in Canada and the government see fit to freeze my pension. That means that I get no increases ever. This is the same for about 500,000 pensioners around the world. We all paid into the NI fund but having retired now have a future looking poverty in the face. This is the British governments policy to discriminate in this way against just 1 in 25 pensioners worldwide with no realistic or logical reason. So David Cameron could make many pensioners dream come true by stopping this cruel and unjust policy this year, this month, this day by removing the regulation that freezes us out. This is a criminal act done by anyone else but the politicians get away with it.
Speak to your MP about it.
Even the Pensions Minister Steve vWebb is against it but suddenly has a change of direction after being placed in the very position to do the right thing. Shame on all the politicians who sit and do nothing about this.
This sounds like a great idea and there is a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from working for charitable organisations. Well Done. Having said that it would be nice if the government would get on board with this way of thinking. I work at least 3 times a week for the Royal Canadian Legion and the Kiwani's. Now I live in Canada and the government see fit to freeze my pension. That means that I get no increases ever. This is the same for about 500,000 pensioners around the world. We all paid into the NI fund but having retired now have a future looking poverty in the face. This is the British governments policy to discriminate in this way against just 1 in 25 pensioners worldwide with no realistic or logical reason. So David Cameron could make many pensioners dream come true by stopping this cruel and unjust policy this year, this month, this day by removing the regulation that freezes us out. This is a criminal act done by anyone else but the politicians get away with it. Speak to your MP about it. Even the Pensions Minister Steve vWebb is against it but suddenly has a change of direction after being placed in the very position to do the right thing. Shame on all the politicians who sit and do nothing about this. morgeo
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree