A SENIOR police officer has been recognised for making her 100th blood donation — and saving hundreds of lives in the process.

Chief Inspector Cecilia Agger, head of operations in Oxford, based at St Aldate’s police station, made her 100th donation at the Oxford Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre in Littlegate Street last week.

She was thanked by the National Blood Service with a large bouquet of flowers, a commemorative decanter and a tie pin, which she now wears proudly on her police uniform.

Ch Insp Agger, 40, pictured with nurse Julie Freemire, is also a registered organ and bone marrow donor. She started giving blood at 18.

She said: “They made such a fuss of me and made me feel very special.”

The Oxford Mail has teamed up with the National Blood Service to get as many people as possible to become a donor before winter when people become ill or too busy to give blood — and Ch Insp Agger was one of the first people to support our campaign.

And despite reaching her 100th donation, Ch Insp Agger has no intention of giving up yet and said: “I’m not sure how many more donations they will get out of me, hopefully at least 50, but I shall carry on for as long as they need me.”