OXFORD’s Lord Mayor has backed the Oxford Mail’s campaign to get 1,000 people to sign up to give the gift of life.

Mary Clarkson last night joined other city councillors who have given blood in the past to lend her support to our Gift Of Life campaign.

We have teamed up with the National Blood Service to boost the number of people in the county who donate before winter hits and people become too busy or fall victim to seasonal illnesses to donate.

Mrs Clarkson gave blood regularly until she was told that her haemoglobin levels were too low for her to carry on.

Haemoglobin is a protein found in the red blood cells which carries oxygen around the body and gives blood its red colour.

The NBS sets a high ‘cut-off’ level so donors’ haemoglobin levels do not drop below normal once they have donated.

She said: “I gave blood for years, three or four times a year, but the past couple of times I have tried to donate, they’ve told me I couldn’t.

“Hopefully, next time I try I will be able to again, because I think it’s such an important thing to do.

“I think the campaign is a great idea and would encourage everyone who can to get behind it.”

According to the NBS, some people have naturally low levels of haemoglobin but these levels can be affected by things like the weather.

Some people tend to get slightly lower readings when it is hot, or there is a lack of iron in their diet.

Churchill ward councillor Mark Lygo and Jericho and Osney councillor Colin Cook, who both regularly donate blood and platelets, are also backing our campaign.

Mr Cook has made so many visits to the donor centre at the John Radcliffe Hospital, in Headington, that he has been given an award recognising his dedication to helping others.

He said: “I started giving blood when I was about 18 and I must have donated over 50 units by now.

“It’s just something that a gang of us from school in Merseyside started doing and I carried on.

“I would definitely encourage other people to do it.”

He added: “You never know when you could be the one who needs it.”