THE mother of Jake Spicer, who battled cancer for more than six years, has urged people in Oxfordshire to give blood.

Lesley Spicer, of Shepherds Hill, Blackbird Leys, saw her 15-year-old son receive numerous transfusions in his fight against bone cancer.

He died in July, but Mrs Spicer is backing the Oxford Mail’s Gift of Life appeal — adding it would be a great legacy if people were spurred on by Jake’s story to give blood.

She said: “Jake received so many blood transfusions and I would urge everyone to do their bit and donate.

“It doesn’t take long and is easy to do. It was always a comfort to me, knowing blood was available for Jake. At that time, it was keeping him alive.

“I am delighted to give the campaign my full support.”

In 2006, Jake teamed up with the National Blood Service and its mascot, Billy Blood Drop, to urge people in Oxford to do-nate a pint of the red stuff over the Christmas period.

After intensive courses of chemotherapy, Jake needed blood transfusions because the treatment affected his body's production of healthy blood cells.

Mrs Spicer said: “Jake did a lot of work for charity, and he really enjoyed meeting Billy Blood Drop.

“He was so enthusiastic about helping people and I am sure that he would also want people to give blood, so that more lives can be saved.”

Jake died on July 8 at Helen and Douglas House hospice in East Oxford.

He was suffering from Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer.

The Oxford Mail has teamed up with the National Blood Service in a bid to recruit 1,000 new donors.

The service says it desperately needs more blood, as experts warn donor numbers could plummet this winter, with the possibility that more and more people could be struck down by swine flu.

More than 7,000 donations are needed every day to supply hospitals across England and Wales, and one donated pint can save three lives.