Hopes of cycle race coming through city

Oxford Mail: Arash Fatemian Arash Fatemian

The arrival of a major cycle event in Oxford this month is being touted as a step towards hosting part of the country’s biggest Cycling race.

Round three of 11 in the Halfords Tour Series will be held in the city for the first time on Tuesday, May 22.

The race, which will shut off main streets for the day, boasts the country’s top teams and will star Olympic gold medallists and World Champion riders.

And Oxfordshire County councillor Arash Fatemian, who helped bring the event to the city, said he hoped one day the country’s top event, the Tour of Britain, could come through the area.

Mr Fatemian, who is the council’s cycling champion, said: “We have some wonderful terrain and countryside around the roads in Oxfordshire.

“The Tour of Britain is something that may or may not happen further down the line but as a start the Halfords Tour Series is a great event.”

He added: “It will be great for cycling fans and cycling enthusiasts, or just people who enjoy sport, to see cycle racing in the city centre. I am hoping it will be a great success. And events like this can really galvanise thought and get people involved.”

The Halfords Tour Series is free to watch and will shut St Giles, Magdalen Street East and Magdalen Street West, and parts of Beaumont Street and Pusey Street.

Diversions will be in place.

Cyclists will race at speeds of up to 40mph on a 1km oval circuit around St Giles.

Olympic gold medallist Ed Clancy and World Champion Andy Tennant will be among those taking part.

Mr Fatemian said event would also be good for local traders, adding: “Something like this, given the attraction it brings, is great for Oxfordshire businesses.”

There will also be an Oxford versus Cambridge University race and a race for women riders before the main event at 7pm.

Cycling groups will also host stalls and put on activities for youngsters.

Peter Hodges, spokesman for both the Tour Series and Tour of Britain, said: “We are really looking forward to Oxford.

“The bigger the crowds are, the better the event, and then the council will hopefully then say they want more cycle events.

“And then it is more likely we will be able to bring back the Tour Series and potentially the Tour of Britain as well.”

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:01pm Mon 7 May 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

Just what the city needs, road closures, and the resulting congestion.
The County Council need to sort out the existing transport infrastructure, before events are organised to bring more people into the city.
Just what the city needs, road closures, and the resulting congestion. The County Council need to sort out the existing transport infrastructure, before events are organised to bring more people into the city. Dilligaf2010

2:24pm Mon 7 May 12

Greener is cleaner says...

Greener is cleaners day:

Wake up
Go to work
Help old lady across road
Go to bed

Dilligafs day:

Wake up
Complain
Go to bed
Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed Greener is cleaner

2:40pm Mon 7 May 12

Bart Simpsonxxx says...

I hope the police will be out in force and book them for breaking the 20mph speed limits or is it only motorists that break the law??
I hope the police will be out in force and book them for breaking the 20mph speed limits or is it only motorists that break the law?? Bart Simpsonxxx

3:14pm Mon 7 May 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

Greener is cleaner wrote:
Greener is cleaners day:

Wake up
Go to work
Help old lady across road
Go to bed

Dilligafs day:

Wake up
Complain
Go to bed
And you are? Ah, I know, nobody!
[quote][p][bold]Greener is cleaner[/bold] wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed[/p][/quote]And you are? Ah, I know, nobody! Dilligaf2010

3:42pm Mon 7 May 12

Greener is cleaner says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Greener is cleaner wrote:
Greener is cleaners day:

Wake up
Go to work
Help old lady across road
Go to bed

Dilligafs day:

Wake up
Complain
Go to bed
And you are? Ah, I know, nobody!
Apologies, you have put me in my place now
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Greener is cleaner[/bold] wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed[/p][/quote]And you are? Ah, I know, nobody![/p][/quote]Apologies, you have put me in my place now Greener is cleaner

5:29pm Mon 7 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

It will be fun watching all those cyclos crash at 40mph when they hit all of those potholes. Don't forget the video cameras kiddies there will be loads of footage for youtube.
It will be fun watching all those cyclos crash at 40mph when they hit all of those potholes. Don't forget the video cameras kiddies there will be loads of footage for youtube. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG

10:19pm Mon 7 May 12

BigAlBiker says...

And your sunglasses to shield your eyes from all that multi coloured Lycra.
And your sunglasses to shield your eyes from all that multi coloured Lycra. BigAlBiker

7:08am Tue 8 May 12

Christine Hovis says...

I hope the race doesn't mean going over the Martyr's memorial. I know the Oxford Mail likes interesting photos, but why does he need to put his bike on the steps of the memorial?
I hope the race doesn't mean going over the Martyr's memorial. I know the Oxford Mail likes interesting photos, but why does he need to put his bike on the steps of the memorial? Christine Hovis

5:15pm Tue 8 May 12

SirRichard says...

"Cycle champion"? Presumably that's a salaried position... Glad to see the county council busy tackling the core issues.
"Cycle champion"? Presumably that's a salaried position... Glad to see the county council busy tackling the core issues. SirRichard

7:06pm Tue 8 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

The day after this story championing the fact that we will have cyclo's doing 40mph in St Giles, plod were out in force this morning with four YES four police cars nicking people doing over 20 mph. Yes you could not make it up.
The day after this story championing the fact that we will have cyclo's doing 40mph in St Giles, plod were out in force this morning with four YES four police cars nicking people doing over 20 mph. Yes you could not make it up. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG

7:17pm Tue 8 May 12

King Joke says...

Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix.

Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff!
Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix. Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff! King Joke

8:01pm Tue 8 May 12

cps says...

"I hope the police will be out in force and book them for breaking the 20mph speed limits or is it only motorists that break the law??"

Yes the speeding laws only apply to motor vehicles.
"I hope the police will be out in force and book them for breaking the 20mph speed limits or is it only motorists that break the law??" Yes the speeding laws only apply to motor vehicles. cps

8:42pm Tue 8 May 12

King Joke says...

Is that really true? If it isn't illegal to rollock down Morrell Ave at 35 mph on a bike then it jolly well should be.
Is that really true? If it isn't illegal to rollock down Morrell Ave at 35 mph on a bike then it jolly well should be. King Joke

11:58pm Tue 8 May 12

Mick Heavey says...

..... N.B. Anyone who suffers financial loss due to this event, please present your expenses to Oxfordshire County Councillor Arash Fatemian, who will no doubt meet these out of his own pocket !!!.....
..... N.B. Anyone who suffers financial loss due to this event, please present your expenses to Oxfordshire County Councillor Arash Fatemian, who will no doubt meet these out of his own pocket !!!..... Mick Heavey

6:29am Wed 9 May 12

King Joke says...

Quite righ Mick. Can we also do so for the various fun runs which take place throughout the year, film premieres which close Magdalen St, and while we're at it can we sue Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Tesco's on Speedwell St for the bus delays they cause?

Also when the bike race draws in more spectators and they spend money in local shops, can they give a bit back to Cllr Arash?
Quite righ Mick. Can we also do so for the various fun runs which take place throughout the year, film premieres which close Magdalen St, and while we're at it can we sue Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Tesco's on Speedwell St for the bus delays they cause? Also when the bike race draws in more spectators and they spend money in local shops, can they give a bit back to Cllr Arash? King Joke

8:34am Wed 9 May 12

Major Oxford says...

Fatemian OUT!!!
Fatemian OUT!!! Major Oxford

9:15am Wed 9 May 12

SirRichard says...

King Joke wrote:
Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix.

Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff!
Not sure a few gentle laps around St Giles while wearing tight clothing is comparable to the Monaco Grand Prix...
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix. Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff![/p][/quote]Not sure a few gentle laps around St Giles while wearing tight clothing is comparable to the Monaco Grand Prix... SirRichard

9:33am Wed 9 May 12

King Joke says...

Not the point. McVey was claiming it was unfair not to restrict their speed. As the roads are closed, it is not.
Not the point. McVey was claiming it was unfair not to restrict their speed. As the roads are closed, it is not. King Joke

2:20pm Wed 9 May 12

Pitchers says...

Congratulations on getting this event staged in Oxford Mr Fatemian - a real credit to you and a great event that reflects the fact that Oxford is a city of cyclists - despite what some of the pathetic comments would suggest to the contrary. If only some of the snipers had a bit of your dynamism.
Congratulations on getting this event staged in Oxford Mr Fatemian - a real credit to you and a great event that reflects the fact that Oxford is a city of cyclists - despite what some of the pathetic comments would suggest to the contrary. If only some of the snipers had a bit of your dynamism. Pitchers

3:36pm Wed 9 May 12

Major Oxford says...

Fatemian is the new Mitchell
Fatemian is the new Mitchell Major Oxford

3:36pm Wed 9 May 12

Major Oxford says...

Fatemian is the new Mitchell
Fatemian is the new Mitchell Major Oxford

9:09pm Wed 9 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

Pitchers wrote:
Congratulations on getting this event staged in Oxford Mr Fatemian - a real credit to you and a great event that reflects the fact that Oxford is a city of cyclists - despite what some of the pathetic comments would suggest to the contrary. If only some of the snipers had a bit of your dynamism.
Wrong mate, Oxford is a city built on the Motor Car. Just Google William Morris. Cyclos have contributed nothing to our heritage, except cause havoc for other road users and pedestrians.
[quote][p][bold]Pitchers[/bold] wrote: Congratulations on getting this event staged in Oxford Mr Fatemian - a real credit to you and a great event that reflects the fact that Oxford is a city of cyclists - despite what some of the pathetic comments would suggest to the contrary. If only some of the snipers had a bit of your dynamism.[/p][/quote]Wrong mate, Oxford is a city built on the Motor Car. Just Google William Morris. Cyclos have contributed nothing to our heritage, except cause havoc for other road users and pedestrians. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG

10:38pm Wed 9 May 12

King Joke says...

Ah yes, these will be the cyclists who contributed nothing to this city except keeping William Morris in business when he ran a... ahem, bicycle repair shop. McVey, you truly are full of manure.
Ah yes, these will be the cyclists who contributed nothing to this city except keeping William Morris in business when he ran a... ahem, bicycle repair shop. McVey, you truly are full of manure. King Joke

8:02am Thu 10 May 12

## Nonny Mouse ## says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Greener is cleaner wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed
And you are? Ah, I know, nobody!
Ahahahaha. Because you are 'somebody', right? Ahahaha.
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Greener is cleaner[/bold] wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed[/p][/quote]And you are? Ah, I know, nobody![/p][/quote]Ahahahaha. Because you are 'somebody', right? Ahahaha. ## Nonny Mouse ##

11:28am Thu 10 May 12

jochta says...

Speed limits do not apply to cyclists. They apply to motor vehicles only. See Road Traffic Regulation Act for details.

However cyclists can be prosecuted for "cycling furiously" or "wanton and furious driving".
Speed limits do not apply to cyclists. They apply to motor vehicles only. See Road Traffic Regulation Act for details. However cyclists can be prosecuted for "cycling furiously" or "wanton and furious driving". jochta

11:50am Thu 10 May 12

King Joke says...

I'll still dab the brakes going down the dip at Old Woodstock, and down Headington Hill. If I piled into a pedestrian at 30+ I don't suppose they'd be consoled by the fact I wasn't motorised!

Anyway, back to racing. On a road closed for racing, speed limits don't apply, just like they didn't for the Birmingham Super Prix in the 80s.
I'll still dab the brakes going down the dip at Old Woodstock, and down Headington Hill. If I piled into a pedestrian at 30+ I don't suppose they'd be consoled by the fact I wasn't motorised! Anyway, back to racing. On a road closed for racing, speed limits don't apply, just like they didn't for the Birmingham Super Prix in the 80s. King Joke

11:57am Thu 10 May 12

jochta says...

Nope, closed road for racing, whatever vehicle you're in/on it doesn't matter how fast you go :)

Looking forward to the event. It'd be ace if the ToB came through Oxfordshire again. I notice it's miles away again this year :(
Nope, closed road for racing, whatever vehicle you're in/on it doesn't matter how fast you go :) Looking forward to the event. It'd be ace if the ToB came through Oxfordshire again. I notice it's miles away again this year :( jochta

7:48pm Thu 10 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

King Joke wrote:
Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix.

Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff!
The point you missed was irony, nothing to do with speed, but seeing as most of my posts seem to go over your head, no surprise there.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Your point being McVey? It's a race, on a closed road, just like the Monaco Grand Prix. Your pothole comment is pig-ignorant too; professional cyclists can cope with the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix so I doubt our potholes will bother them. They're made of sterner stuff![/p][/quote]The point you missed was irony, nothing to do with speed, but seeing as most of my posts seem to go over your head, no surprise there. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG

8:32am Fri 11 May 12

King Joke says...

THere's plenty out the Lord Peter, on whom irony and sarcasm are completely lost. THey'll read your stuff and think 'oh yeah, a bike race is a vvank idea, because of the pot holes'. Someone's got to put them right.
THere's plenty out the Lord Peter, on whom irony and sarcasm are completely lost. THey'll read your stuff and think 'oh yeah, a bike race is a vvank idea, because of the pot holes'. Someone's got to put them right. King Joke

11:34am Sat 12 May 12

John Lamb says...

Having some cyclists thinking they have the city centre to themselves will just be like any other day in Oxford.
Having some cyclists thinking they have the city centre to themselves will just be like any other day in Oxford. John Lamb

3:18pm Sat 12 May 12

A34North says...

## Nonny Mouse ## wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Greener is cleaner wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed
And you are? Ah, I know, nobody!
Ahahahaha. Because you are 'somebody', right? Ahahaha.
This seems like a wonderful idea and I am sure Lord Nuffield would be proud of the event and encourage the councils to extend their willingness to stage a full blown motor racing Grand Prix in the future.
Can you see it ladies and gentlemen 'The Oxford GP', television rights to boot. However, we would not want another Trenton episode would we Dilly 'my friend'?
[quote][p][bold]## Nonny Mouse ##[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Greener is cleaner[/bold] wrote: Greener is cleaners day: Wake up Go to work Help old lady across road Go to bed Dilligafs day: Wake up Complain Go to bed[/p][/quote]And you are? Ah, I know, nobody![/p][/quote]Ahahahaha. Because you are 'somebody', right? Ahahaha.[/p][/quote]This seems like a wonderful idea and I am sure Lord Nuffield would be proud of the event and encourage the councils to extend their willingness to stage a full blown motor racing Grand Prix in the future. Can you see it ladies and gentlemen 'The Oxford GP', television rights to boot. However, we would not want another Trenton episode would we Dilly 'my friend'? A34North

7:55pm Sun 13 May 12

King Joke says...

We had a GP in Oxford for years, every summer. Why do you think they build Blackbird Leys in an oval, with a couple of chicanes?
We had a GP in Oxford for years, every summer. Why do you think they build Blackbird Leys in an oval, with a couple of chicanes? King Joke

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree