AN Oxford University press officer who had got married two months ago has been found dead after a suspected carbon monoxide leak at her home.

Katie Haines, 31, died on Thursday night after being rushed to hospital from her home in Barkham Road, Wokingham, in Berkshire.

Her husband, Richard, found her collapsed after he returned from work. He and two other people were also taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital, in Reading, for treatment after breathing in the fumes.

In a tribute released by police on behalf of her parents, Gordon and Avril Samuel, her brother and sister, Adam and Lydia, and her husband, she was described as "the most wonderful daughter imaginable".

The statement said Mr and Mrs Haines had got married in December and honeymooned in South America.

The statement added: "We have been told by the doctors that she appears to have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly from a boiler, but do not wish to speculate on this until we have the result of further medical tests."

Ruth Collier, head of press and information at Oxford University, said Mrs Haines was "a wonderful person and a very talented colleague".

She added: "Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Katie's husband, parents and siblings."

Police were called to the property at about 8.25pm on Thursday and the ambulance and fire services were also alerted. The occupants of two other homes were evacuated and gas supplies to all three houses were isolated before fans were used to ventilate the properties, said a spokesman for Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "Police are treating the death as unexplained at this time and are working with other agencies to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident."

A post mortem expected to take place tomorrow.