SHE may look like she is just hanging around but Kate Ryan is trying out an increasingly popular exercise craze: aerial silks fitness.
The 29-year-old, from Marston, is one of the most experienced students at the AfreakAAerials class, that uses silks and hoops hanging from the ceiling.
She said: “I first studied aerial silks when I lived in Chicago two years ago. I saw a film about it and thought it was really beautiful so I joined a class the next day.
“When I moved back to Oxford there was no class, so I took a hiatus, but then the AfreakAAerials class started 18 months ago and I’ve been training with them ever since.”
The postdoctoral chemist said: “They’re great at pushing you to do your best.
“I’m a bit nervous about heights and doing big drops on the silk so they’re good at getting me to do more.”
Dr Ryan’s moves may seem incredible, but she remains nonchalant, adding: “It’s all about core and upper body strength. When I first started I couldn’t do a pull-up, but it’s amazing what you learn.
“I’ve done yoga for 12 years, so that helps.”
- For more information on AfreakAAerials visit afreakaaerials.com
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech