Sir Roger Bannister will receive an honorary doctorate from Oxford Brookes University tomorrow.
He will join students from the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences in a ceremony on the Gipsy Lane campus.
Oxford Brookes vice-chancellor Janet Beer said: “I’m sure our graduates this week will look to his many great achievements as inspiration for their own futures.”
Sir Roger is renowned as the first person to run a mile in under four minutes – achieved at the Iffley Road running track in 1954 – and for his work in the field of neurology.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon