Cancer campaigner Clive Stone has welcomed news of a £160m boost to a drug fund set up following his fight for drug treatment.
The Government announced last week that £80m would be added to the annual £200m Cancer Drugs Fund for each of the next two years.
The fund was set up in 2011 to give patients access to cancer drugs not routinely available on the NHS.
It was announced by Prime Minister and Witney MP David Cameron in 2010 after Mr Stone, 66, lobbied him following his successful fight to be treated with kidney cancer drug Sunitinib in 2007.
Mr Stone, from Eynsham, who has had 34 brain tumours removed, has written to Mr Cameron to praise the move.
He said: “I’m over the moon. It’s incredible.
“We know that at least for the next two years we will get cancer drugs — especially for people with rarer cancers.
“It won’t necessarily save lives but it will extend lives. Some people may be saved, because, if they get the drug at the right time, they could be cured.”
He said: “This is very good for the drug side of things but I hope we can complete it and I will keep pushing to make sure we get all the radiotherapy we need.”
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “It’s vitally important that as many people as possible have access to these pioneering, life-enhancing drugs.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
9:12am Saturday 10th October 2015
TRIBUTES have poured in for a “vibrant and popular” former student who was struck down and killed on the A40.
5:30am Saturday 10th October 2015
A “REMARKABLE” teenager whose battle with cancer inspired hundreds to raise funds for research has passed away.
12:25pm Saturday 10th October 2015
Soldiers from the barracks named after First World War hero Edward Brooks officially unveiled a new memorial at his grave today.
8:30am Saturday 10th October 2015
OXFORD’S revamped Westgate Centre will reopen in October 2017, just in time to give the city’s economy a £100m Christmas bonus.
8:00am Saturday 10th October 2015
THE restaurant at the Randolph Hotel has reopened nearly six months after a devastating blaze, but the hotel will not be back to normal until March.
7:00am Saturday 10th October 2015
MULTI-MILLION pound plans to transform a neglected Cowley shopping centre are set to rejuvenate the area, developers said.