AN Oxford University academic and an electronic music artist with acting credits including James Bond and EastEnders may seem an unlikely musical collaboration.
But when Dr Matthew Cheung Salisbury wanted someone to add a modern twist to a piece of recently discovered medieval music he felt rapper Goldie was the obvious choice.
Also known as Clifford Price, Goldie is a DJ, visual artist and actor who had two top 20 singles in the 1990s with Digital and Tempertemper.
Dr Salisbury discovered the 12th century Hawick Missal Fragment in 2009 and approached Goldie two years ago with the idea of remixing it and making it more relevant to a 21st century audience.
He said: “Goldie is a really natural choice. Firstly, he is very good at taking a sound and turning it into something different.
“Secondly, he is very knowledgeable about classical music and, thirdly, he is really energetic and he brings a really different perspective to things.”
The new piece, a mixture of modern and classical music which uses sampling and electronic manipulation of sound, as well as medieval chant and a cello, will be performed for the first time tomorrow, at Glasgow Cathedral, by Oxford musicians and some from Scotland.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street