Children’s charity Barnardo’s has found that a seaside trip for a family of four from Oxford to the nearest seaside is the third most expensive in England.
Return train tickets from Oxford to Bournemouth for two adults and two children, fish and chips, ice-cream and sun-cream would cost £136.90, it said in a call to the Government to take action over childhood povery.
The cheapest seaside trip, Bristol to Weston-super-Mare, came in at just £40.80.
Barnardo’s chief executive Javed Khan said: “Family holidays have a special place in the childhood memory box, and every child deserves to have a day out once in a while, no matter what their circumstances.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year