POLICE have warned of the dangers of “legal highs” after three men believed to have taken a white substance were rushed to hospital, one in a serious condition.
Police were called on Sunday to a caravan in Goosey, near Wantage, at 5.35pm to reports the men had taken the substance, which was “not for human consumption”.
The men were arrested and taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
One man, aged 26 and from Faringdon, was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a controlled Class A drug and was bailed until October 9.
Police could not confirm whether the drug was the same substance the men had ingested, or what that white substance was.
The other two, in their early twenties, were released without charge.
One of the three men remains in hospital, in a “serious but stable” condition, police said, while the other two have been discharged.
“Legal highs” are products that produce similar effects to illegal drugs such as cocaine or ecstacy, but are legal providing they are not sold for human consumption.
Det Ch Insp Andy Bird said: “We are currently investigating the exact nature of what these young people took, but want to take this opportunity to once again warn people about the dangers of ‘legal highs’.
“Just because something is currently legal it does not mean it is safe.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community