£20,000 watch robbers jailed

£20,000 watch robbers jailed

£20,000 watch robbers jailed

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

TWO teenagers who robbed a Venezuelan lawyer on holiday in Oxford of a £20,000 watch have been jailed.

Kelvin Ferreira, right, and Mustafa Mohammed, below, both 18, attacked Juan Domingo Cordero Osorio after following him from Thirst nightclub, Park End Street, in the early hours of September 6 last year.

Oxford Mail:

They were sentenced to 40 and 45 months in prison respectively for the attack on the Venezuelan lawyer, in which he was pinned by the arms while his watch was taken.

Judge Peter Ross, at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday, told them: “You were waiting, you were waiting in the shadows of the doorway. I have absolutely no doubt that by that stage, no doubt at some time in the club, you had spotted that he was wearing an unusual and potentially valuable watch.

“I suspect that you had not appreciated that it would be worth quite as much as it was and I doubt when you sold it you got anywhere near the real value.”

He said CCTV appeared to show Mohammed, of East Oxford’s Cricket Road, striking his victim, who then had his arms grabbed from behind after he fell over. Ferreira, of Droop Street, West London, stood over the lawyer and took his watch.

Photographs of the red-strapped watch and online searches for its value were found on Ferreira’s phone after he was arrested when he returned to the club the next day, the court heard.

Judge Ross said minor injuries to the victim’s face, neck, hand and elbow were “not the most serious injuries” from such attacks and said the pair faced a reduced sentence if they revealed what happened to the watch.

He acknowledged Mohammed had found a job in car valeting and wanted to gain qualifications, while Ferreira had volunteered at a youth club and planned to attend an engineering course.

Judge Ross said Ferreira’s early guilty plea to robbery had cut his sentence, but Mohammed only pleaded guilty at a later hearing.

However, he said the planned nature of the attack, a joint effort against one “vulnerable” victim to take a valuable item, counted against them.

Giles Bedloe, for Ferreira, said his client was “surprised” by the watch’s value and added: “He does live in a part of London where gangs operate and there are bad influences for young men in similar circumstances to him.”


 

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
     

Our top stories

Jayden trial: Jake Blakeley tells jury his killer brother was evil

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A TEENAGER accused of helping his brother bury the body of Jayden Parkinson wept in the dock as he was told to look at photos of the two graves.

'I'm glad my evil ex has been jailed for injuring me'

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A WOMAN left with life-changing injuries after her violent boyfriend pulled her car’s handbrake on the A40 said she is glad the “evil” man has been jailed.

Johnny Mullins backing Oxford United's quality

Oxford Mail: Johnny Mullins

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

Johnny Mullins says Oxford United’s squad have the quality to get themselves out of trouble even without help from new signings.

Haggis and a wee dram on menu for Burns Night

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

FAMILIES and friends across Oxford are coming together to celebrate Sunday’s Burns Night in style.

Delight at decision to replace whole water pipe in Normandy Crescent

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

RESIDENTS have welcomed Thames Water’s decision to replace the water pipe running through a flood-blighted street as “a step in the right direction.”

A34 northbound re-opened after lorry crash

Oxford Mail:

8:28am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE A34 northbound between Marcham and Milton re-opened this evening after the road was closed when a lorry crashed into a ditch last night.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree