A TEAM of Race for Life runners who call themselves the Golden Girls raised more than £1,000 in this year’s race.
The Golden Girls – a group of 14 relatives and friends from Oxford, Kidlington, Witney and Eynsham – ran the Cancer Research UK event in July.
Debbie Crockett, from Kidlington, set up the team in honour of her mother, who died from lung cancer.
Jean Titcomb, who lived in Jericho for her whole life, died in 2012 at the age of 70.
Mrs Crockett, 50, said: “My mum and her cousins used to get together and do things and we used to call them the Golden Girls, after the television show, to take the mick.
“When she passed away my daughter wanted to do something in memory of that, so she chose to do the Race for Life, and we all got dragged into it.”
The team includes both of Debbie’s daughters Emma and Sarah, her aunts, godmother, cousins and friends.
She said: “We love doing it, our other halves come and support us.
“We all go to Jericho and have a meal and a drink afterwards. We’ll do it every year – you can’t not.” Her mother’s memory pushes her around the 5km course, she said. “You think of them every day, but then it’s almost like they’re a part of it with you. It’s comforting.”
The Golden Girls range in age from 87 to seven years old.
In the three years they have taken part in the race, they have raised about £2,500.
Mrs Crockett’s aunt Della James, 81, of Cowley, said: “I nursed Jean when she was dying. That’s why we did it, because I felt I was doing something for cancer.”
Mrs Crockett’s godmother Pam Powell, 82, of Eynsham, said: “We raised £1,075 which is quite a lot for us. We had donations from relatives as far away as Australia and America. It’s amazing.”
She added: “This is the third year in a row we’ve done it.
“The youngest ones run, some jog and us older ones walk it. It’s a great atmosphere.”
MEET THE TEAM
- Debbie Crockett, Jean’s daughter, Kidlington
- Sarah Crockett, Debbie’s daughter, Kidlington
- Emma Crockett, Debbie’s daughter, Kidlington
- Sophie Simmot, Emma’s friend, Kidlington
- Yvonne Simmot, Sophie’s mum, Kidlington
- Della James, Debbie’s aunt, Cowley
- Pat Titcomb, Debbie’s aunt, Cowley
- Cheryl Titcomb – Pat’s daughter, Witney
- Lauren Titcomb, Pat’s great-granddaughter, Witney
- Pam Powell, Debbie’s godmother, Eynsham
- Rebecca Powell, Pam’s granddaughter, Banbury
- Thea Powell, Pam’s great-granddaughter, Eynsham
- Olivia Powell, Pam’s great-granddaughter, Eynsham
- Dawn Simpson, married to Pam’s cousin, Eynsham
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech