A LONDON-based construction firm has been chosen to undertake the £5.1m refurbishment of Modern Art Oxford in 2017.
The Pembroke Street gallery has already been handed £3.5m from the Government-funded Arts Council England for the work, with the gallery raising the rest.
And it announced this week that RISE, the construction firm which built the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, in Kensington Gardens, London, will take on the project.
RISE director Gareth Stapleton said: “We have a culture of working collaboratively across all industry sectors and are delighted to be working with Modern Art Oxford to help them achieve its future aspirations.”
In plans announced last month, gallery officials said they planned to close the venue in 2017, reopening in 2018.
Director Paul Hobson said during that period, it would hold a number of exhibitions in venues across Oxford.
The revamp will see a lift and staircase installed through the centre of the building to open up higher floors to the public plus a new entrance on St Ebbe’s.
It is hoped the improvements will double the gallery’s visitor numbers to more than 200,000 a year.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
9:00am Friday 30th January 2015
THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.
12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015
SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.
7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015
A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.
4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015
A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.
3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015
A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.
Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced
1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015
OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.