Four residents needed hospital treatment after emergency services were alerted to a chemical smell in a block of flats.
Firefighters, police officers and paramedics were called to Greenhill Court in Lodge Close at 9pm on Tuesday.
Fire crews wore breathing apparatus and specialist detection equipment to try to identify the unknown chemicals involved.
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent four engines from stations in Banbury, Deddington and Oxford.
South Central Ambulance Service and Thames Valley Police also attended.
- Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community