Four residents needed hospital treatment after emergency services were alerted to a chemical smell in a block of flats.
Firefighters, police officers and paramedics were called to Greenhill Court in Lodge Close at 9pm on Tuesday.
Fire crews wore breathing apparatus and specialist detection equipment to try to identify the unknown chemicals involved.
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent four engines from stations in Banbury, Deddington and Oxford.
South Central Ambulance Service and Thames Valley Police also attended.
- Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech