Four residents needed hospital treatment after emergency services were alerted to a chemical smell in a block of flats.
Firefighters, police officers and paramedics were called to Greenhill Court in Lodge Close at 9pm on Tuesday.
Fire crews wore breathing apparatus and specialist detection equipment to try to identify the unknown chemicals involved.
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent four engines from stations in Banbury, Deddington and Oxford.
South Central Ambulance Service and Thames Valley Police also attended.
- Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street