VALE of White Horse has been ranked the seventh best place to live in a national poll.
Oxford, meanwhile, came 5,808th out of 7,137 districts in the Daily Telegraph survey.
Crime level in the Vale is the ninth lowest in the country, and economic activity, income and home ownership all ranked highly.
The district, which also has the best recycling rate in the country, is home to the Science Vale scientific campuses of Harwell, Culham and Milton Park.
The nationwide survey ranked all areas in England and Wales using official data on average incomes, crime rates, health, home ownership, and economic activity.
West Oxfordshire and Cherwell also ranked highly, while Oxford ranked 5,808th out of a total 7,137 areas.
The city scored badly on economic activity, home ownership and crime levels, but did well on health.
Browse the interactive map online at telegraph.co.uk
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech