TWO supermarkets were robbed in West Oxfordshire within three hours of each other.
The first was Tesco Express in Valence Crescent, Witney, at about 11pm on Sunday.
Releasing details yesterday, Thames Valley Police said two men wearing balaclavas told staff at the store to fill a bag with cash from the tills.
They said nobody was hurt during the attack.
A 32-year-old man arrested in connection with the robbery has been bailed until September 15.
The second was at the Sainsbury’s store in Market Place, Chipping Norton.
Three men with hooded tops and blackened faces arrived outside the shop between 1.30am and 1.50am on Monday.
Police say they were driving a grey or silver Volkswagen Golf GTI before they forced their way through the store’s front door and fleeing with a large quantity of cigarettes.
Chipping Norton mayor, Mike Tysoe, said the break-in should not be a cause for concern for residents. He said: “It happens all over the place from the West End of London to the main street in Chipping Norton. Unfortunately, it’s part of today’s society. I have lived here for 15 years and to the best of my knowledge this is the first time we have had anything like this.”
Thames Valley Police did not respond to questions asking if the incidents were linked.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit