Food bank delivers to homes as search for a base goes on

Food bank volunteers including manager Janet Ray, right, move out and, inset, the notice pinned to the food bank’s former premises in Minton Place, Victoria Road

Food bank volunteers including manager Janet Ray, right, move out and, inset, the notice pinned to the food bank’s former premises in Minton Place, Victoria Road

First published in News

A FOOD bank is now making home deliveries while it looks for a permanent location.

Bicester Foodbank manager Janet Ray has said she will run the service, which helps hundreds of people in the town, from the back of her car if she needs to.

As reported in the Oxford Mail earlier this month, the food bank had been running from a property in Minton Place, Victoria Road, since December.

Mrs Ray said Minton Group, which owns the building, had allowed the food bank to operate from the location free of charge for an initial six months. But she said the owner decided to let out the premises to a commercial business and the charity couldn’t afford the cost.

Staff were yesterday clearing out.

They will now only be able to run just one day a week, instead of the previous five, from a temporary base at Bicester Early Intervention Hub at The Courtyard Youth Arts Centre in Launton Road.

Mrs Ray, who has run the food bank for seven-and-a-half years, is making home deliveries in the meantime and the charity has applied to use a property in Market Place as a permanent location.

As reported in the Mail, it is waiting to hear from Cherwell District Council whether it will agree the move.

Mrs Ray set up the charity in 2006 and last year gave food to about 2,500 people referred to it by doctors and other services. She said the food bank is a vital lifeline for many and added: “If necessary I will run it from the back of my car.

“I will not see people going hungry or without food.”

Ashley Bourne, head of property at the Minton Group, said the charity had stayed for an extra two months informally.

He said: “Minton told them it was not a long-term thing but we did extend their time there two or three times because we did not need it back immediately. There was a prior agreement with a member of the food bank that they would move on Friday after being given 10 days notice. We were being charitable.”

The charity decided to move from Victoria Road after being told it would have to start paying rent.

Mrs Ray said: “We are in negotiations for a permanent unit. We expect to be up and running by mid-September if we get the place.”

Food bank volunteer Jill Martin said: “I have no idea where we are going to put all the food or the fridges and freezers.”

For more information, contact Janet Ray on 01869 357181.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

    Send your Letter to the Editor

    11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

    What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Delays of up to 40 minutes on bus services across the county

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

STAGECOACH Oxfordshire has warned that passengers face delays of up to 40 minutes this morning.

Harassment cop sacked for gross misconduct

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A DETECTIVE has been sacked after harassing a member of police staff, the force said yesterday.

Fears as boat owners’ group claims new area of riverbank

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS say they are worried about another attempt by boat owners to grab land alongside waterways in the city.

Mum cleared of breaking baby daughter’s leg

Oxford Mail: The Horton General Hospital, Banbury

6:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A TEENAGER accused of breaking her baby daughter’s leg broke down in tears as she was cleared yesterday.

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree