Ready to serve up a treat with the Foodies Festival

Exeter College staff pictured at the 2010 festival with a giant trifle they made with the help of local children

Exeter College staff pictured at the 2010 festival with a giant trifle they made with the help of local children

First published in News

FOOD lovers will have their tastebuds tickled at this weekend’s eighth Bank Holiday feast.

The Foodies Festival will arrive in South Park for the country’s largest three-day celebration of food and drink on Saturday.

Exhibition director Sue Hitchen said: “Foodies Festival offers the public an opportunity to discover new foods, learn new cooking skills and have a great day out with friends.”

“But it’s also really important to us that we offer local producers the chance to showcase their amazing products that they are all so passionate about.”

More than 24,000 people visited last year’s festival and organisers are expecting this year to be just as successful.

Chefs will cook their signature dishes in the Aga Rangemaster Chefs’ Theatre and include BBC Great British Menu champion Emily Watkins, Michelin star Glynn Purnell and television chef Manju Malhi.

It will be hosted by last year’s MasterChef winner Natalie Coleman and also include a 5pm chilli eating challenge each day.

Fearless foodies are invited to attempt to break the current record of 13 chilli varieties eaten in one sitting.

Meat-eating contests and barbecue challenges will also be on the menu at the barbecue arena and there will be a daily cocktail-making competition.

The Street Food Avenue will include foods from across the world like Vietnamese buns, tapas, Morrocon tagines and South American prime beef.

At the heart of the festival, long banqueting tables will bring together visitors and chefs with their treats and dishes.

Oxford Mail:

Ms Hitchen, above, said: “Over the last nine years there has been a shift towards buying local produce and knowing where your food comes from and this is something we have moved with by extending our Producers Market.”

It will also feature a Chocolate, Baking and Preserves Village, children’s workshops, champagne, gin and Pimms tents, live DJs and an “Ibiza Riot” bar. It will open each day from 11am and close at 7pm on Saturday and Sunday and 6pm on Monday.

Tickets are £12 adults and £10 concessions with under 12s free with an adult.

For more information visit foodiesfestival.com

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

    Send your Letter to the Editor

    11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

    What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Mixed views on payments of bonuses to NHS bosses

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

EIGHT health bosses received between £85,000 and £125,000 in bonuses last year, latest figures show.

Army says ‘sorry’ to para amputee bullying victim

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Thursday 2nd October 2014

THE Army has apologised after a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan was bullied while working at RAF Brize Norton.

Move to Birmingham or be homeless, Syrian family told

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

MORE than 50 families have been relocated outside of the city so far this year, with Syrian refugees among the latest forced to move.

Community helps flood victims as looters strike

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

FLOOD victims left devastated after a water main burst in their street have rallied together in the aftermath of the disaster.

Memorial to Spanish civil war ‘would clutter up the square’

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 2nd October 2014

PLANS for a memorial to the Oxford residents who died in the Spanish civil war look to have hit a brick wall.

Army will apologise to paratrooper Tom Neathway after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree