‘Railway death son was my rock in life’

Nicholas and Elizabeth Beerman

Nicholas and Elizabeth Beerman

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Witney and West Oxfordshire. Call me on 01865 425483

THE mother of a 22-year-old man who was killed when he walked in front of a train in Kidlington has described him as her “rock”.

Bletchingdon resident Elizabeth Beerman, 51, spoke after Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard on Wednesday that Nicholas Beerman died instantly when he was hit by an express train at Roundham level crossing on Tuesday, March 25.

She denied he wanted to take his own life and believed he was just careless.

Ms Beerman, who has four other children, said after the inquest: “Nicholas was a great kid – generous, kind and very respectful. He was a gentleman and everyone who knew him said the same.

“He was my rock. I always called him that and he knew he was. He would never let anyone upset or disrespect me and was there for me, whether it was money, jobs that needed to be done or just a cuddle.

“It’s been awful and I still can’t believe it.”

Mr Beerman, a former pupil at Marlborough School in Woodstock, was said to have been unhappy at his job as a warehouse worker at Sainsbury’s in Summertown. He had been named Colleague of the Year last August, but was said to have had minor issues with other staff. He tried to resign twice, including on the day he died, citing “family issues”, which his mum believed was an excuse because he didn’t like his job.

Related links

Mr Beerman, who lived with his mum in Valentia Close, regularly visited his grandparents Jane and Tony in Kidlington after work. He had left their house when he walked in front of the train, which was travelling at about 100mph between Oxford and Banbury stations at about 11.45am.

Train driver Paul Flanigan said in a statement that he suddenly saw a man walk on to the track and stop, despite him sounding the horn. A post-mortem examination showed Mr Beerman died of multiple injuries.

Speaking during the inquest, Ms Beerman said her son’s state of mind seemed normal in the days leading to his death.

She said: “He always used to walk with his earphones in – it was silly and he would be in his own little world. He wouldn’t take much notice when crossing the road and I told him so many times. It’s probably the same as he was doing at the crossing.”

Assistant coroner Nicholas Graham said there was not enough evidence to conclude either suicide or accidental death and recorded an open verdict.

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed

  • Our top stories

I have no hard feelings against Oxford United, says former U's boss Gary Waddock

Oxford Mail:

11:00am Friday 27th February 2015

GARY Waddock says he feels no bitterness towards Oxford United as he prepares to face the club for the first time since being sacked last summer.

U-turn as leader says decision to axe council chief ‘hasty’

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 27th February 2015

THE decision to axe the top job at Oxfordshire County Council will be reviewed after its leader admitted he rushed it through.

Road users beware as £3m cut from the repair budget

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 27th February 2015

MOTORISTS and cyclists will face bone-shaking journeys on county roads after cuts of nearly £3m in the road maintenance budget were approved.

Town Hall will fly rainbow flag in support of LGBT

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 27th February 2015

A RAINBOW flag will today fly from the town hall in Oxford to mark the 10th anniversary of LGBT month.

‘Why not get on board girls and be a bus driver like me?’

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 27th February 2015

WOMEN are being urged to jump into the driving seat of the city’s buses and take up a new career.

Schoolboy is earning his stripes with role in new Holocaust play

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 27th February 2015

ALMOST a year after he made his professional stage bow opposite Jason Donovan, a Carterton schoolboy has started touring the nation in a new play.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree