EMERGENCY repair works have started on Botley Road after a leak was spotted this morning.
A lane has been closed near Osney Bridge – where the road was dug up last month causing traffic delays – because of a broken water main.
Workmen from Thames Water have now been called to the scene.
Martin Crabtree, a spokesman for Oxfordshire County Council, said: “It has been agreed that Thames Water will control the traffic past the works using Stop/Go boards, to ensure manual control, until 7pm this evening.
“After 7pm there will be temporary traffic light until 6:30am on Friday, August 15. Should Thames Water think that they will not be finished with their work by 6:30am tomorrow then they will temporarily reinstate the road surface so that traffic can use the road.
“Thames Water would then have to return after 7pm on Friday to do a permanent reinstatement.
“The pedestrian crossing at this location will have to be switched off.”
Becky Trotman, a spokesman for Thames Water, said: “We know it’s frustrating for drivers to see work happening in an area that’s recently been resurfaced but unfortunately we can’t always predict where or when a pipe is going to burst, despite our best monitoring efforts.
“This work is in no way related to the sewer repairs we carried out last month.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today