A FISH and chip van has been allowed to continue trading despite complaints from nearby businesses.
Oxford City Council agreed Goujon Monkey could retain its right to trade at a licensing and registration sub-committee meeting last night.
The council received five complaints after concerns were raised about the noise and smell coming from the Broad Street fast food van.
The complaints sparked a council review of the van’s street trading consent held by Matt Barlow and Tim Chapple.
The takeaway, operating in a 1972 converted Citroen horse transporter, sells hot fish and chicken goujons, fries and drinks.
A previous council report noted officers had made 10 visits between June 4 and June 18 and “no odour nuisance or noise nuisance was observed”.
Simon Godfrey, owner of Italian boutique Isola, said the smell was making staff feel unwell.
The Varsity Shop, which sells University of Oxford merchandise, said the council needed to intervene as the smell gets into the sweatshirts and other branded university clothing it sells.
But Mr Chapple previously said they had spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to reduce its impact.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay