THE ROUTE for The Tour of Britain has been released, revealing where cyclists will be pedalling their way through Oxfordshire.
The UK’s biggest cycling race will reach the county on Friday, September 12, the first time that the Tour has passed through Oxfordshire since 2008.
As part of the leg from Bath to Hemel Hempstead, competitors will cycle through the county on the sixth stage out of eight of the eight-day contest.
The route will take them through Wantage, Harwell, Blewbury, Moulsford, Cholsey, Crowmarsh Gifford, Cookley Green, Christmas Common and Crowell.
Wantage residents may be disappointed to learn the path will not go through the town centre, instead skirting the town via Reading Road, Nosworthy Way (A4130) and Port Way (A4074).
The route was worked out with organisers, Oxfordshire County Council and Cycle Chilterns.
Last year the Tour of Britain was won by Olympic champion Sir Bradley Wiggins.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay