New care homes ‘will only add to pressure already felt by GPs’

An artist’s impression of the conversion of Penhurst School into a care home

Mike Tysoe

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Witney and West Oxfordshire. Call me on 01865 425483

DOCTORS’ surgeries will struggle to cope with a rise in OAP residents after two care homes were approved for Chipping Norton, a GP manager has warned.

It comes after plans for 96 extra care flats and houses were approved for Rockhill Farm, London Road, and a 100-place care home at the former Penhurst School site in New Street.

White House Surgery practice manager Tony Love said: “It will add to the pressure which is already being felt by the GPs. You do become more concerned about whether we will be able to deliver and maintain the same level of care that we give now if there’s additional heavier medical requirements because of the care home.”

White House Surgery and West Street Surgery share about 15,000 patients, including residents from five care homes in Chipping Norton, Kingham and Enstone.

They are to merge in a £3m new doctor’s surgery called Chipping Norton Health Park in Russell Way next year.

The town council said ahead of the Rockhill Farm planning decision it was concerned about “the increasing demographic imbalance within Chipping Norton” if both applications were passed.

Mayor Mike Tysoe said: “The biggest worry is what effect it will have on the GPs and medical services.

“But it also means that people moving into the care homes can open up a house for another generation to move into.”

Oxfordshire County Council’s scheme at Rockhill Farm is for 80 flats and 16 homes and provides on-site support from health professionals.

The council said that 48 flats would be reserved for town residents.

It was approved last month and work is due to start in autumn next year for a spring 2017 opening.

Penhurst School, which was for severely disabled children, closed in May last year because of falling demand.

Action For Children, which ran the school, is working with Beechcroft Developments to create a 58-bedroom care home and 43 assisted living apartments for the over 55s.

It was approved last Monday. Both were passed by West Oxfordshire District Council.

Official estimates show the number of county people aged 85 and over will increase from 14,683 in 2011 to 39,400 by 2035.

The NHS recorded 3,566 dementia sufferers on March 31 last year and 3,936 on the same day this year.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Woman raped in Headington flat

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014

A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning. 

Police manhunt after teenager raped in city centre

Oxford Mail:

11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014

A TEENAGER was raped in central Oxford this morning by a man she met in a nightclub.

Referendum vote gives PM a spring in his step

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.

Oxford United Wright issues warning

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.

It's off - three-day city festival is cancelled

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014

A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.

Man hurt in A40 crash

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014

An 85-year-old man was last night in hospital with back injuries following a crash on the A40 on Thursday.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree