Police lecture underage foreign students drinking in Oxford's South Park

Police lecture underage foreign students about drinking in park

Police lecture underage foreign students about drinking in park

First published in News

VODKA, whisky and beer were confiscated from 47 underage foreign students caught drinking in Oxford’s South Park.

Police went to the park on Tuesday night, following three weeks of complaints from residents in the St Clement’s area about drunken behaviour.

Officers confiscated 49 cans of beer and cider, two bottles of vodka and one of whisky.

Thames Valley Police antisocial behaviour officer Mike Ellis said the teenagers were students at summer language schools in the city.

He said: “Quite often we’ll get complaints about loud noise, people shouting and general rowdy behaviour. These students come to the UK and are placed with host families and in the evenings they are free to enjoy the city.

“We’re keen for them to do that, but we want them to be safe.

“In the darkness at night, young people who are drunk can be at significant risk of becoming involved in crime.”

He said no one was arrested or cautioned, as the aim was to warn the students about the risks of drinking and the laws on alcohol.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Delays of up to 40 minutes on bus services across the county

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

STAGECOACH Oxfordshire has warned that passengers face delays of up to 40 minutes this morning.

Harassment cop sacked for gross misconduct

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A DETECTIVE has been sacked after harassing a member of police staff, the force said yesterday.

Fears as boat owners’ group claims new area of riverbank

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS say they are worried about another attempt by boat owners to grab land alongside waterways in the city.

Mum cleared of breaking baby daughter’s leg

Oxford Mail: The Horton General Hospital, Banbury

6:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A TEENAGER accused of breaking her baby daughter’s leg broke down in tears as she was cleared yesterday.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:48am Thu 7 Aug 14

xenarthra says...

About time too! The police's action towards the children sounds proportionate, but what about the adults who are supposed to be acting in loco parentis? The police should be having firm words with the language schools and with the host families, perhaps even cautioning them for neglect if they are endangering the children for whom they are acting in loco parentis.
About time too! The police's action towards the children sounds proportionate, but what about the adults who are supposed to be acting in loco parentis? The police should be having firm words with the language schools and with the host families, perhaps even cautioning them for neglect if they are endangering the children for whom they are acting in loco parentis. xenarthra
  • Score: 6

11:20am Thu 7 Aug 14

EMBOX2 says...

Indeed. It's the same every year - not only drinking but thinking they can just abuse local laws and customs because they're not from the UK.

I have seen language students try to give a bus driver a £50 note for a £2 fare, queue jump, and even run out of a restaurant without paying, and taunting the staff as they did it.

It is high time they were deported and their parents & language schools made to pay costs.
Indeed. It's the same every year - not only drinking but thinking they can just abuse local laws and customs because they're not from the UK. I have seen language students try to give a bus driver a £50 note for a £2 fare, queue jump, and even run out of a restaurant without paying, and taunting the staff as they did it. It is high time they were deported and their parents & language schools made to pay costs. EMBOX2
  • Score: 2

2:09pm Thu 7 Aug 14

sablond oxford says...

"Police went to the park on Tuesday night, following three weeks of complaints from residents in the St Clement’s area about drunken behaviour."
Why did it take them three weeks to do anything!?
"Police went to the park on Tuesday night, following three weeks of complaints from residents in the St Clement’s area about drunken behaviour." Why did it take them three weeks to do anything!? sablond oxford
  • Score: 13

2:22pm Thu 7 Aug 14

Libbabe says...

Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.
Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer. Libbabe
  • Score: 12

4:17pm Thu 7 Aug 14

carli says...

Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here. carli
  • Score: 1

4:47pm Thu 7 Aug 14

xenarthra says...

carli wrote:
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
What curious logic.
[quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.[/p][/quote]What curious logic. xenarthra
  • Score: 4

5:16pm Thu 7 Aug 14

carli says...

xenarthra wrote:
carli wrote:
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
What curious logic.
in other words...until we can behave who are we to complain about peoples behaviour in this country?
[quote][p][bold]xenarthra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.[/p][/quote]What curious logic.[/p][/quote]in other words...until we can behave who are we to complain about peoples behaviour in this country? carli
  • Score: 2

9:14pm Thu 7 Aug 14

Myron Blatz says...

Simple solution would be like in the US, and to ban alcohol sale and consumption to anyone under 21 whether UK locals or non-UK students and visitors, and to place a 9pm curfew on all under-21s. Only problem would be enforcement - we don't have enough Police for drugs and crime, let alone to deal with boozers, and people who think it's their God-given right to cause public disturbance, vomit and make fat profits for local shops and supermarkets which sell booze.
Simple solution would be like in the US, and to ban alcohol sale and consumption to anyone under 21 whether UK locals or non-UK students and visitors, and to place a 9pm curfew on all under-21s. Only problem would be enforcement - we don't have enough Police for drugs and crime, let alone to deal with boozers, and people who think it's their God-given right to cause public disturbance, vomit and make fat profits for local shops and supermarkets which sell booze. Myron Blatz
  • Score: -3

9:53pm Thu 7 Aug 14

GaryOxford says...

carli wrote:
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
I would rather all law breakers are dealt with appropriately in a timely manner no matter where they are or where they're from. I also British people behaving like yobs both at home and abroad and I think the police both at home and abroad should take appropriate measures.
It shouldn't take 3 weeks to confiscate some alcohol and give them a telling off.
[quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.[/p][/quote]I would rather all law breakers are dealt with appropriately in a timely manner no matter where they are or where they're from. I also British people behaving like yobs both at home and abroad and I think the police both at home and abroad should take appropriate measures. It shouldn't take 3 weeks to confiscate some alcohol and give them a telling off. GaryOxford
  • Score: 7

2:46am Sat 9 Aug 14

The New Private Eye says...

Libbabe wrote:
Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.
Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place.
[quote][p][bold]Libbabe[/bold] wrote: Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.[/p][/quote]Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place. The New Private Eye
  • Score: -1

12:30pm Sat 9 Aug 14

ElderP says...

The New Private Eye wrote:
Libbabe wrote:
Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.
Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place.
I think a "park" by definition is a public space. Most readers in any case would know Oxford’s South Park to be a public space.
[quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Libbabe[/bold] wrote: Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.[/p][/quote]Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place.[/p][/quote]I think a "park" by definition is a public space. Most readers in any case would know Oxford’s South Park to be a public space. ElderP
  • Score: 4

10:32am Mon 11 Aug 14

locodogz says...

EMBOX2 wrote:
Indeed. It's the same every year - not only drinking but thinking they can just abuse local laws and customs because they're not from the UK.

I have seen language students try to give a bus driver a £50 note for a £2 fare, queue jump, and even run out of a restaurant without paying, and taunting the staff as they did it.

It is high time they were deported and their parents & language schools made to pay costs.
Comin' over ere, drinking our booze, usin' our buses, jumpin' our queues......

Alf Garnett will be spinning in his grave......
[quote][p][bold]EMBOX2[/bold] wrote: Indeed. It's the same every year - not only drinking but thinking they can just abuse local laws and customs because they're not from the UK. I have seen language students try to give a bus driver a £50 note for a £2 fare, queue jump, and even run out of a restaurant without paying, and taunting the staff as they did it. It is high time they were deported and their parents & language schools made to pay costs.[/p][/quote]Comin' over ere, drinking our booze, usin' our buses, jumpin' our queues...... Alf Garnett will be spinning in his grave...... locodogz
  • Score: 3

10:50am Mon 11 Aug 14

locodogz says...

On a separate note I wonder what language the police lectured them in.....?
On a separate note I wonder what language the police lectured them in.....? locodogz
  • Score: 3

6:54pm Mon 11 Aug 14

The New Private Eye says...

ElderP wrote:
The New Private Eye wrote:
Libbabe wrote:
Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.
Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place.
I think a "park" by definition is a public space. Most readers in any case would know Oxford’s South Park to be a public space.
Legal terms are often far different from public perception. Could this be why nobody was nicked?
[quote][p][bold]ElderP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The New Private Eye[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Libbabe[/bold] wrote: Disgrace. 3 weeks to do anything, why? Under age drinkers, who is selling them alcohol? Were they made to clean up the mess they made, bet you they weren't. Were the language schools made to pay the cost of the operation, nope. Same *every* summer.[/p][/quote]Just to clarify your underage drinkers comment. Anybody over the age of 5 can drink alcohol in a private place, and it is only an offence to buy alcohol for persons under 18 if it is to be consumed on licenced premises or a public place. The story does not state whether the park was private property or a public place.[/p][/quote]I think a "park" by definition is a public space. Most readers in any case would know Oxford’s South Park to be a public space.[/p][/quote]Legal terms are often far different from public perception. Could this be why nobody was nicked? The New Private Eye
  • Score: 0

10:08am Wed 13 Aug 14

sablond oxford says...

carli wrote:
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
two wrongs don't make a right.
Plus i bet people abroad also (rightly) complain if visitors from the UK do behave terribly.
[quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.[/p][/quote]two wrongs don't make a right. Plus i bet people abroad also (rightly) complain if visitors from the UK do behave terribly. sablond oxford
  • Score: 1

10:14am Wed 13 Aug 14

sablond oxford says...

carli wrote:
xenarthra wrote:
carli wrote:
Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.
What curious logic.
in other words...until we can behave who are we to complain about peoples behaviour in this country?
I think you'll probably find the people who are complaining probably aren't the one's that go abroad and behave terribly. people have every right to complain if people are behaving terribly no matter what country they are in or what nationality.
by your logic, that means that we can't complain about anything for example murder because there are people in the UK that have committed murder too. i agree with xenarthra, curious logic indeed.
[quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]xenarthra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]carli[/bold] wrote: Some visitors from the UK behave terribly abroad.....so stop complaining about overseas visitors here.[/p][/quote]What curious logic.[/p][/quote]in other words...until we can behave who are we to complain about peoples behaviour in this country?[/p][/quote]I think you'll probably find the people who are complaining probably aren't the one's that go abroad and behave terribly. people have every right to complain if people are behaving terribly no matter what country they are in or what nationality. by your logic, that means that we can't complain about anything for example murder because there are people in the UK that have committed murder too. i agree with xenarthra, curious logic indeed. sablond oxford
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree