Couple hit a hurdle in their bid to reopen popular pub

The General Elliot

The General Elliot

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Abingdon and Wantage, South Oxford and Kennington. Call me on 01865 425431

THE couple hoping to reopen South Hinksey’s General Elliot pub after five years have been told their flood risk assessment (FRA) was not good enough.

Helen and Cass Hazlewood, who live in the village, bought the pub lease from Vale Breweries saying they wanted to revitalise it.

Since the Hazlewoods acquired the lease, work has begun to refurbish the building.

As well as running the Elliot as a country pub and restaurant, the couple are planning to offer eight “short let” studio rooms.

But the Environment Agency (EA) has said their FRA “failed to consider the effect of flooding events on people and property”.

Planning adviser Ashley Maltman commented on the Hazlewood’s planning application to Vale of White Horse District Council.

He wrote: “The development proposed is inappropriate for the Flood Zone it is located within.

“Given the nature of flooding in this area we consider that flood risk at the site has not been satisfactorily addressed or determined.”

The pub is in a floodplain meaning this type of development is not recommended.

Mr Maltman criticised the couple for not supplying an evacuation route for guests and residents in the case of a flood.

Homes in South Hinksey have been flooded in recent years by the overflowing Thames.

During February’s floods, soldiers from Dalton Barracks helped the EA put up a 600-metre wall of concrete blocks around the village to protect it.

The General Elliot, which won Oxford CAMRA’s pub of the year award in 2007 and 2008, closed in 2009 after the landlord left.

Since then, residents have fought several attempts to redevelop the site for residential use, with the last application to build houses on its car park withdrawn by the agent in August 2013.

It is understood the Vale’s original target decision date for the Hazlewoods’ planning application, August 1, has now be extended to allow the couple to prepare a new FRA.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

    Send your Letter to the Editor

    11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

    What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Hospice supporters join in celebration of street's culture

Oxford Mail:

6:40am Monday 24th November 2014

VOLUNTEERS from Oxford’s Helen & Douglas House hospice shone a light on the work of the charity as part of the Streetlight Festival.

Delays on M40 near Bicester after vehicle fire

Oxford Mail: Lorry jackknifes on M40 causing traffic tailbacks

7:18pm Sunday 23rd November 2014

THERE are delays of up to half an hour on the M40 after an earlier vehicle fire.

Woman sexually assaulted in pub car park in Kidlington

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

6:21pm Sunday 23rd November 2014

A woman has been sexually assaulted in a pub car park in Kidlington.

Horse killed in crash near Steeple Aston

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:26pm Sunday 23rd November 2014

A HORSE was killed after it collided with a car near Steeple Aston yesterday.

Gritters out tonight as mercury plummets across Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Gritter lorries get ready to set out last night

2:17pm Sunday 23rd November 2014

OXFORDSHIRE is set for a cold snap tonight and tomorrow with temperatures as low as -2C expected in some parts of the county.

Have you seen missing 23-year-old Kerri Hutt from Witney?

Oxford Mail:

11:51am Sunday 23rd November 2014

A WOMAN from Witney has been missing since Friday.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:11pm Wed 6 Aug 14

The New Private Eye says...

Has the world gone mad. There used to be 2 pubs in S.H. and had they still both been open would the council be requesting a flood plan? This is not a new development, and one that is supported in the community so why the sudden heavy handidness by the council. Especially at a time that they are allowing new estates to be built, and planning to build their own.
Has the world gone mad. There used to be 2 pubs in S.H. and had they still both been open would the council be requesting a flood plan? This is not a new development, and one that is supported in the community so why the sudden heavy handidness by the council. Especially at a time that they are allowing new estates to be built, and planning to build their own. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree