POLICE have this morning said protests by a group calling itself the National Front and anti-facism demonstrators are likely to be peaceful but they are taking precautions.
The force has been told of both demonstrations by the National Front and Oxford Unite Against Fascism would be in Oxford city centre.
Supt Christian Bunt, LPA commander for Oxford, said: "We have nothing to suggest these will be anything other than peaceful demonstrations.
"However I am aware that Oxford city is very busy on Saturdays in July and these are likely to cause some disruption.
"We have got a police operation in place today that is proportionate to deal with any demonstrations and any other issues we may have today."
- Superintendent Christian Bunt
Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes