New parking zone is finally ready to start in Cutteslowe

Cllr Jean Fooks

Cllr Jean Fooks

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

COUNCIL officers have confirmed that a residents-only parking zone in Oxford will finally be introduced next month.

Plans for a controlled parking zone (CPZ) in Cutteslowe were approved in February but since then Oxfordshire County Council has failed to bring the scheme into force.

In May the county council said that the necessary signs and markings would be put in place by the end of that month but two months later residents are still having to put up with problems caused by commuters parking in their streets.

County councillor for Summertown and Wolvercote Jean Fooks said: “I have been chasing them about this since February and I have been promised dates that haven’t happened.

“I gather that the team has been cut and the workload has increased but that’s for the county council to sort out.

“It is not very satisfactory and very frustrating. It cannot be a good use of time and they have to decide exactly where they stand.”

Parking problems in the area have been caused by commuters not wanting to pay for the Water Eaton park and ride, as well as Oxford City Council’s policy of charging people to use car parks such as Cutteslowe Park.

Harefields resident Allie Noel said: “Every group of residents has got a different perspective because the conditions vary depending on whether you are near the park or not.

“In Harefields we are quite pleased with the arrangements because there will be only two permits per house and there are a lot of houses which have many cars because of renters.

“It has taken quite a long time to be introduced but it is a complicated matter and the county council has worked hard to get it right.”

The CPZ has been in the pipeline for 18 months but because the original scheme relied on “non-standard” signs, it was not approved by the Department for Transport.

At the time the first decision on the CPZ was made, the Government was approving non-standard signs.

But councils must now use signs chosen from a list provided by the Department for Transport and the Cutteslowe scheme was given approval again in February after being redrawn.

County council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: “Letters with information on the approved scheme and how to apply for permits, along with permit application forms, will be sent out by post to all the residents next week.

“It is our intention to issue permits in August with the zone coming into operation at the end of the month.”

Mr Crabtree said the markings are now in place, but are not being enforced, as the signs have not been installed yet.

 

Our top stories:

Motorcyclist 'punches pensioner and hits his car windscreen with helmet' after Cutteslowe crash

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

12:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

A PENSIONER was “severely” injured when he was attacked in his car by a motorcyclist in Cutteslowe, police said.

UPDATE: Body found after motorhome fire at caravan site near Chipping Norton

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

11:30am Friday 19th December 2014

A BODY was found after a fire at a caravan site motorhome.

What brilliant picture is in our Oxford Mail Advent Calendar today?

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Tuesday 9th December 2014

December is Advent Calendar time and we have a special new interactive graphic for you each and every day until Christmas Eve. I've chosen the best 24 pictures of 2014 and I'll be unveiling one a day - so what is behind's today's door?

Oxford United striker John Campbell is keen to make his mark at Hartlepool

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 19th December 2014

John Campbell admits it would be difficult to keep his kit on if he was able to make an impact on debut for Oxford United tomorrow.

‘New £9.2m Leys pool’s too small for contests’

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 19th December 2014

SWIMMING competitions planned for the new £9.2m pool in Blackbird Leys could be at risk due to lack of space, it has been warned.

Six 'all clear' women told they have cancer after investigation into Oxfordshire Breast Screening Service assessments

Oxford Mail:

7:40am Thursday 18th December 2014

SIX women who were given the all clear after breast cancer screening have been told they have the disease following an investigation.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree